Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help- broken dipstick!

mlazinski

Corvette
1975 Silver Coupe
I just purchased a 1975 about a week ago, and was checking the oil today, and noticed that the dipstick had broken in the well!!!! A suprise to me as well, as I did not feel or see any problem when checking it a couple of days ago. The question is- where is it now? Does anyone know how long a dipstick is?- it looks like I am missing at least 3-4"? It was probably driven about 15 miles with 3-4 starts, no problem. Is it safe to drive, or can the dipstick drop into the pan? Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated, as all of the shops are closed until Monday. Thanks for your help in advance!

I'm pretty sure the piece is in the oil pan. I know on my 68 when you pull the oil pan you can see the end of the dipstick tube. The dipstick actually protrudes thru it and into the oil that is in the pan.
You are fortunate because the oil pump has a screen but your bottom end is exposed to anything in there. It is possible you have a magnet in the oil pan and hopefully it would become attached to that. Otherwise it is a pan pull in order to get the broken piece. As for the stock length, I'm sure of the other guys here can help you on that one. Post your engine model so they know which one to research.

Good luck.

mlazinski said:
I just purchased a 1975 about a week ago, and was checking the oil today, and noticed that the dipstick had broken in the well!!!! A suprise to me as well, as I did not feel or see any problem when checking it a couple of days ago. The question is- where is it now? Does anyone know how long a dipstick is?- it looks like I am missing at least 3-4"? It was probably driven about 15 miles with 3-4 starts, no problem. Is it safe to drive, or can the dipstick drop into the pan? Anyone with any advice would be greatly appreciated, as all of the shops are closed until Monday. Thanks for your help in advance!
if the engine has a windage tray and the bottom half of the dip stick tube was not installed when putting the dip stick back in it could have ended up on top of the windage tray and got hit by the rotating assy.the bottom half of the dip stick tube guides the dip stick thru the hole in the windage tray

Thanks for your replies. The engine is a L-48, and the dipstick is now 16" long. All I can read is NA (I hope to god this was an aftermarket dipstick), since i assume that is the end of "Made in China". I have an appt. with a local vette mechanic on Tue anyway, (5 miles away) but the main question that i have now is if it safe to drive there?

JohnZ said:
Most dipsticks are about 20" long from the seal down to the "add" mark.
:beer

I disagree! I work with some dipsticks who are at least 6 feet long!!

The exterior tube that the dipstick goes into is press fit into the block. I suggest you put a phillps screwdriver into the tube, wiggle it loose from the block, pull it out and check if you see your dipstick. Put a little silicone on the tube and reinsert it using the screwdriver handle to press it back into the block.
Good Luck!

Forget removing the dipstick tube - the broken piece (about five inches long) is well below even the LOWER dipstick tube. I'd drive it to get the pan pulled.

If you must drive it, install a magnetic plug in the pan.Hopefully the piece will stay away from the oil pump pickup.

Thanks for all of your help! I drove it the five miles to the shop without incident, and they fished it out of the oil pan without dropping it. They thought the crankshaft sheared it off, and that it got twisted somehow. Thanks again everyone! This site is great!

Generally, dipsticks can't interfere with anything down there unless the LOWER dipstick tube is missing; the lower tube contains it and keeps it out of the way of rotating components.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom