Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Cant get my hood open on my 68

Corvette
87 Callaway Cpe 87-070 & 68 Cpe 427, 4spd A/C
Replaced cross over cable thought that would fix it. Pass side latch will not open. I can reach in on the Driver side and pull the cable and lever - nothing. I have pulled the plug under the wiper door and fiddled around in there for hours - nothing. I look at mid-americas tutorial, googled, binged.

What now, can I unbolt the front and get it off that way? I am at a total loss and many hours into this. I don't want to break the hood but im about to just rip it off! HELP! :mad

i10fwy :ugh

I had the same problem on my 81 a few years ago and the only way I could get it open was to have a friend push down on the corner where the lock is to relieve pressure on the lock. Make sure to lube the locks really good when you get it open.

...can I unbolt the front and get it off that way?...

Front what? I don't think you can reach the hood hinge bolts with one side of the hood sticking closed.

You might be able to see the latch from under the car. You will need a flashlight.

:thumb

Mike, here is the problem as I see it, I just spent another couple hours surveying the situation.
the pass side release seems to be working, I even disconnected it from the drives side to pull it independently and I can fell it click but the mechanism is hung up.

I jacked the left corner up then the rt thinking maybe some stress would pop it. nothing

I looked under the car and there is no way to get to the bolts on the plate to remove it from the hood.

Looking under the front I can get to the front two bolts on each side but not the back two (or are there just two) I was thinking if I could unbolt the front of the hood and release the lr latch I should be able to get the hood off.

Chris

Whoo Hoo! It worked! Hood is open.

I was able to reach up under the front of the car and loosen the front hood bolts enough to wiggle the hood around and release it

I10fwy

Have you figured out why it was hanging up?

Have you figured out why it was hanging up?

Yes. When the car was restored the latch mechanism on the pass side was out of alignment. When you realign you have one shot (you shut the hood and hope it opens) it didn't, My dumb fault. So once I got it open I went the other direction with the latch and now it's perfect.

:ugh

i10fwy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom