Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Fuel Gauge went to Zero with 1/2 tale of fuel

D

Dr C5 Corvette

Hi Everyone, Comming home from the shore tonight my chime went off and said check gauges low fuel I looked at the gauge and it was on E. The heads up display also showed empty. but I know there is 1/2 of a tank of fuel or more. I shut the car off and restarted it and it still was the same. What could have happened ;shrug ? I worked on my stock air box today and opened it up with a dremal for more air put every thing back right and tight dont think that has anything to do with this. Any suggestions would be helpful .....Thanks Dr C5 Corvette

Either your sender unit is malfunctioning, or you have a loose connection to the sender. Check to see if you have any loose connectors to the tank.
The connections are in front of the rear tires at the front of the wheelwell.
You might have to take the rear tires off to get a good look at them. They are the round ports on the bottom of the fuel cells with wires and hoses going to it in both wheel wells. Just look forward and you will see them.
I thought that was a poor choice of location for water intrusion, but that's where they are. One set of wires on the drivers side goes to the fuel pump and the other is for the tank level sender.

Mine would do that from time to time until I started using Techron on a regular basis

This is a common problem with the C5. The fix:
1. Make sure you have the most current computer program updates (if you have an older C5)
2. Use quality fuel.
3. Add Techron to the gas periodically.
4. Replace sending unit, if necessary.

See these threads:

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42068&highlight=fuel+gauge

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12017&highlight=fuel+gauge

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28650&highlight=fuel+gauge

Dr. C5,
I've only had what you describe happen to me once since I acquired my Z06, but it's certainly a bewildering feeling to know you have half a tank of gas, and a range of probably 200 miles before needing to fill up again, and yet your getting warnings that you almost out of fuel. That mild panic that you might end up stranded on the side of the road, having to push the car to the nearest gas station sets in.

The good news is that DRTH is quite right in his recommended steps. Generally this is an issue of the quality of gas put in the tank. I found a couple of threads discussing the quality of gasoline and how important it is to high performance engines:

Thread 1
Thread 2

:w
-Patrick

Thanks for the info I will Check that with my oil change .....Dr C5 Corvettel

Thanks DRTH, I will follow your steps and let you know, Great Forum Thanks again....Dr C5 Corvette

Yes I always try to use a good gas, looks like WAWA gas may have done this thats where I filled up yesterday and its a fairly new station thanks for the input...Dr C5 Corvette

Hi Everyone, Comming home from the shore tonight my chime went off and said check gauges low fuel I looked at the gauge and it was on E. The heads up display also showed empty. but I know there is 1/2 of a tank of fuel or more. I shut the car off and restarted it and it still was the same. What could have happened ;shrug ? I worked on my stock air box today and opened it up with a dremal for more air put every thing back right and tight dont think that has anything to do with this. Any suggestions would be helpful .....Thanks Dr C5 Corvette
The same thing happened to my 98 when it was a couple of years old. The dealer said that there was a TSB on that problem and they replaced the sending unit and several other parts all under warranty. Everyone says that techron works really well to keep those components working properly-I use it also.

Ok Eveyone Checked my codes and found a code in the pcm (P1431 HC) here is the meaning:
P1431 Fuel Level Sensor 2 Circuit Performance

What does this code mean ;shrug ? I guess I need the tsb update on my computer? thanks for the fast help and in fo...Dr C5 Corvette

Ok Eveyone Checked my codes and found a code in the pcm (P1431 HC) here is the meaning:
P1431 Fuel Level Sensor 2 Circuit Performance

What does this code mean ;shrug ?
It's the same as what DRTH VTR told you. That code just defines specifically which sensor is misbehaving (sensor 2 = right fuel tank).

Thanks Mr Lucky, this is a great forum!

A service bulletin by GM said that this is a problem with the early model C5's. It's covered under warranty. Check it out with your dealer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom