Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help!! Hood will not open.

Paul Higg

Corvette
2007 Monterey Red
My friend's 91's hood is stuck closed. When we went to try to open it the cable broke off the handle. It was opening on the driver's side and not the passenger's but now the handle is totally inop.

Anyone know an easy way to open the hood? Is there a special tool or procedure?

Thanks.

My friend's 91's hood is stuck closed. When we went to try to open it the cable broke off the handle. It was opening on the driver's side and not the passenger's but now the handle is totally inop.

Thanks.
They do make a tool for this available from one of the vendors that sell Corvette parts.

Paul, I believe that I saw a post on the forum awhile back on how to make a tool to open the hood relatively easily. If you can't find it, maybe Junkie will be able to help you. Good luck, ......
Andy :w

Paul, I believe that I saw a post on the forum awhile back on how to make a tool to open the hood relatively easily. If you can't find it, maybe Junkie will be able to help you. Good luck, ......
Andy :w

Thanks. Saw one one Eckler's.
:w

Thanks.

This is an excellent time to mfg some "emergency hood release cables"

Made from lt gauge wire rope or cable, they attach to the latch lever under the hood and extend to the area around the wiper arm/blade hiding spot. When locked out, just find the end of your cable and pull to release the hood. I made mine so the passenger side ran all the way across so both could be opened from the driver side....some folks just leave a cable end in the belief that this makes it harder for a thief to get in without pliars. I made loops knowing that

#1...a thief will come prepared anyway, and

#2...They would'nt know what they were looking at if the emergency cables are installed right and tucked in under the wiper.

The hood tool can be very challenging. You can make one out of #9 wire, shaped to reach under weather strip and to the latch box so the lever can be hooked and pulled. Its important to go look at an open hood so you can study the design of the box and learn the access points....after all, it is designed to prevent people from breaking in easily. Since the lever is enclosed inside a steel box, you need to see it to understand it.
I've done it in 15 minutes, other times took 4-5 hours.
Get your tool in your hand and work it around under someones hood so you get the feel of what your're trying to do.

Thanks boom, but there's only one problem. We don't have another C4 to examine.

I like your cable idea.

Thanks boom, but there's only one problem. We don't have another C4 to examine.

I like your cable idea.

Well, if there is no reference...I'll try to describe a little.

Look at about where the latch box would be, under the hood surface...Then find a place around the upper hood seal near the wiper where you can slide the tool between the seal and hood. Something about the size/diameter of welding rod is about right for strength and thin enough to enter the seal. Flat steel does not work because it has to be rotated while in the seal. Some form of handle is helpful so a good pull can be done without loosing the bite on the lever...once hooked, it slips off easily, so be prepared. It just takes practice, but its done everyday.
\From there, bend and shape the tool so there is <1/2" hook on the end, with a couple kinks along the shaft to allow the end to be manipulated down in toward the box, then rotated into the box. Visualize how the lever operates and start your confrontation with your Karma...

If successful in less than 1 hr, proceed immediately to the nearest state lottery retailer and invest in quick-picks while luck is with you.:beer
Tip:
The lever moves inward, pivoting from the front of the vehicle. There is also a small amount of pre-tension on the latch so the hood "pops" up when released. Its helpful in this operation to press down on the hood so the latch is not bound by the latch pin & spring. When you feel you've hooked the lever and move it, gently lift up on the hood and don;t let go !

I'm not certain, but I'd bet that Vetteoz or somebody has good pics of the latch box to help give an idea of how long and how far to go fish.

When/If the sun ever comes out again, I'll post a couple pics of my safety cable arrangement. Made with home depot supplies, maybe $15 worth of stuff. I used plastic coated cable, crimp on ferrels, a round eyelet and stainless safety wire to secure the lever attachment. There has to be a little mod of the release cable adjustment nut to ensure the safety cable can slide past when the hood is closed on the whole mess. I just ground a flat spot on the plastic adjuster nut and ran my wire underneath thru the same slot in the latch box. The route of the safety wire needs to be direct and straight so there is no binding. Later, proper adjustment of the hood pins will give the right amount of pre-tension so its not too bound up to release with the new cables. I used a 1" loop on my end of the cable so I had a decent grip.
I think the catalog vette stores even sell a kit.
I broke a cable end off at the latch about 10 yrs ago, repaird that end, attached the safety cable and have'nt worried since. The challenging part of this whole deal is installing new cables thru the firewall...lots of cursing and chiropractic follow up care involved.
Good Luck:w

I hope I don't get in trouble for doing this but here's a link with photos showing how to make and install the emergency cable releases.

emergency hood release cable - EASY with pics - Corvette Forum

Perfect !

I have seen the question a couple times but did'nt know that anyone had actually posted pics to go with the description of what to do. That is what I did except that I ran the passenger side across to both could be done easily from driver side, and used an eyelet to guide the cable and prevent it from getting hung on the wiper arm or flopping out of the cowl area. Same loops, ferrels etc..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom