Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! how do i get rid of my smog pump and a/c comp on a 85

K

kamarossrs

I am building my 85 vette and want to get rid of the smog pump and the a/c comp, i cant find anybody that sells the brackets necessary to do this, the only thing i have found is to remove the smog pump, does anybody know how to get rid of the a/c and still have the serpentine work? thanks for ANY help at all,,,,,,,Rik

HI there,
As for the AC compressor, I dont know of any.
However, the air pump bypass pulleys are sold by a few vendors out there.
The only one that I have personal experience with is Breathless Performance. This is not an endorsement, just what I have experience with.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Hello,
What are the results of removing the air pump other then wieght and less drag on the engine. Will it cause a problem with the smog devices or any other function of the electronics that control the engine ? I guess I'm trying to say is,are there any side effects ?
Thanks
Dave

:w

Hi there,
Well, side effects include higher emissions when cold. Also, longer warm up time for the converter.
Reduction of drag is not really that much, but for some, they think that it will help.
If you are racing, then you can do it.
No codes will set, nor will you have any running problems.
Besttoall, c4c5:hb

kamarossrs said:
I am building my 85 vette and want to get rid of the smog pump and the a/c comp, i cant find anybody that sells the brackets necessary to do this, the only thing i have found is to remove the smog pump, does anybody know how to get rid of the a/c and still have the serpentine work? thanks for ANY help at all,,,,,,,Rik

I bypassed both on my '85. I was getting ready to drop a Big Block in it so I removed the entire A/C unit. Like stated above, to get rid of the smog pump, I would buy the unit from Breathless Perf. The A/C unit is also pretty easy. First off, just simply buy a shorter sepentine belt and skip right over the A/C unit. Now the car will run the exact same just your A/C unit will be non-functional. Then start removing all the bolts holding it on there. There will be one very difficult bolt to remove and it's located directly behind the pulley. It will take some time, but it will come out. Then start removing all the A/C lines going everywhere.
My Vette also had no heater. I removed the entire blower motor unit and made a plastic cover to go over the hole in the firewall.
Let us know what happens.

Jay

Smop and a/c pump

Brackets for the smop are available from Ecklers. A/c pump I've never seen. Remember though once you take off that pump you'll probably not pass emissions. The electronics in todays cars depend upon input from emission devices. Like another member said when you change something you may not get the desired results.

Rocko

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom