Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help in choosing headers for my CE

M

megatron

Hi Everyone,

Hoping I can obtain some assistance. Am looking to install a nice set of headers on my Collector's Edition (LT4) and wanted some advice.

1. Shorty vs. Long tube. That big of a difference? I am willing to sacrifice some power if I can retain as much of the stock look as possible. Also, I believe with long tube headers, a lot of fabriciation is required. Is this true? If so, I feel as if it would take originality away from the car.

2. Recommended manufacturers? I've been out of the market for a while and knew that SLP made some very nice products. A visit to its website revealed very few parts for 92-96 Vettes. Doug Rippie also makes shorty headers, but they seem expensive. QUALITY is the most important attribute to me.

3. Sound of shorty vs. long tube. I want something nice, but not too loud.

I eventually also plan to add a cat back Borla, so keep that in mind. How much do you think a header/cat back upgrade will add in times and/or HP?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Not edited for spelling.

I have the TPIS long tubes. They work great according to the dyno but the workmanship was terrible. I spent all day with a die grinder getting the weld beads out of the way of the runners, had to straighten the manifold tube, and 'egg' the bolt sleaves since they were not lined up perpendicular to heads. All in all, TPIS just plains sucks!

If I were to do all over again, I would try the Exotic Muscle long tubes. They have an excellent reputation. Make sure you get the ceramic coated to cut down on heat in the cabin.

Go with the long tubes. Shortys are not worth the effort.

FX GS said:
Exotic Muscle long tubes. End of story.
Thanks. How is the fit and clearance on the Exotic Muscle long tubes? Any problem hooking up to a BORLA cat back? Any problems with emissions? I need my car to pass emissions.

Thanks

The Exotic Muscle long tubes fit very nicely and I did not experience any clearance problems. They also come with the bungs for the air tubes and O2 sensors. I used the Random Technology cats with this set up and a good exhaust man should not have a problem hooking up the Borlas.

I suggest you call Merle or Trevor at Exotic: 1-480-967-4222 and ask any questions you might have. If you are serious about this, call quickly because I believe they had these headers on special, don't know if the sale is still on.

FX GS said:
I suggest you call Merle or Trevor at Exotic: 1-480-967-4222 and ask any questions you might have. If you are serious about this, call quickly because I believe they had these headers on special, don't know if the sale is still on.
I just ordered these on the group purchase for my LT4......

Group Purchase

I just bought a set with the Random Cats too on group purchase.

Thanks for the good info,

Jim Vette96ce

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I talked to Merle and Trevor at Exotic Muscle and both were very helpful. Unfortunately at this time, I don't think I will go with the purchase. For me, I must have the cats, and that increases my price to about $1500.00. Although the headers are coated, the connector pipe is great and the cats are high flow, the timing is not right. The car is going in for the winter and I'd have to buy them now and install in the spring. I could use the $1500.00 elsewhere right now.

Did have a question for everyone on this system. It is supposed to fit in perfectly with the Corsa system. So, if I get a Corsa, does that mean I can forego the connector pipe from the long tube headers? That would decrease the price slightly. Thanks

megatron said:
For me, I must have the cats, and that increases my price to about $1500.00.
I just bought the headers.....I have $$$$problems too.

Plan to buy these later.....$149

http://www.secureperformanceorder.com/dynatechstore/powercat.cfm

Also I will get the bolts, gasket, later......Summit or Jegs will save you a little on these items....at least that is my plan..I hope it works for me

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom