Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help me decide . . .

Gary6586

Corvette
'95 Torch Red Coupe
Hello all - just jumping in here to ask for advice (or opinions): I owned several Corvettes: '65 Coupe 327/365, '67 Roadster 427/435 (yes, I know), with the last one being an '86 coupe. I have the opportunity to buy a '95 coupe AT/LT1 with 40,000 on the clock -- $7000. The problem is that the vehicle was traded in at a new car dealer with a "salvage title" - meaning in this state that it was once "totalled", and rebuilt. Carfax verifies this and shows an accurate mileage trace since rebuild in 1998. I cannot see ANY evidence of prior damage, and it drives/shifts OK. Interior is great - only needs good scrubbing. According to the salesman, the car has been sitting for about one year. Battery is weak, and alternator is probably on its last legs (putting out 11-12 volts).

Question: what should I look for in terms of "normal" things that go wrong with a '95. I realize that hoses/belts/tires, etc., will have to be replaced. I just don't want more of a winter project than I can handle.

Appreciate in advance your replies/comments/suggetions.

Gary

Probably the biggest problem you are looking at is resale value, which will not be that high since it is a salvage title car. I would take it and have it put on a lift and try to find a good Corvette mechanic on C4's look at the undercarriage and what not. Good luck if the mileage and everything else turns out okay it will probably be a good driver, but don't get it as any kind of investment.

did the carfax show a wreck, water or some other damage? look for rewelded areas in the frame. miss aligned panels. and low ball the dealer.

Bought it ! Had the dealer put it up on the rack, went over it with a bright flashlight, and looks good. Small weld on the foremost bracket (that holds the radiator), but all else was clean. Appears the wreck was only body damage, because the paint and body panel alignment are perfect. Brilliant torch red/black int. Runs great. Shifts correctly. 43,000 miles. Alternator bearing noise. Volt gauge fluctuated initially, but new battery apparently solved the problem. Might turn out to be a nice driver -- until I find my '96 LT4 6 speed Convertible with low miles . . . . Thanks for your help. Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom