Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! More Heater Core Help!

D

DigitalFalcon

I started last week changing the heater core and following the instuctions from the posts. (Doing it the short way)However I pulled my neck out of wack last week trying to balance upside down on my head. It was almost back to normal this morning so I tackled it again. I got the seat out. Cover off. ECM out. Wires out of the way. Unhooked the heater vent control and moved it out of the way. Took out the cross brace. (WHAT A PITA!) Unhooked and moved the ducting out of the way. Now, I just undid THREE 7mm bolts that I could find holding the front heater core shroud on. I was able to pull it a few inches forward to see the core. YEA!!!!. Anyway, My question is: Are there more than three small 7mm bolts holding the front shroud on? 'cause I am pulling gently and it doesnt want to come off. I dont want to pull too hard in case there are some more bolts up top that I cant see. Any ideas? Are there more bolts up top. Help.
Thanks - Falcon

BTW - The foot well is not made for someone 6'4" and 300 lbs to lay in!:D

Update: I found a fourth bolt up top but it still does not want to come loose. I wondering if there is a fifth bolt on the upper left side? Anyone know?

Sorry man, I am about to go through the same thing. Good luck

UB2 SLOW said:
Sorry man, I am about to go through the same thing. Good luck

Have not had to replace mine on my 86 yet. Key word, "yet".
Really sounds like a PITA. :(

It is a major PITA. I found the last bolt in the upper corner. I can see it with a little mirror but so far I cant get to it. I'm going to try and use my wifes little hands today to reach it. I'm almost there so I cant give up now. All in all, it still seems alot easier than pulling out the dash.
When I get done I'll try and post a step by step for anyone else in the future who has to do it.

DigitalFalcon said:
I'm going to try and use my wifes little hands today to reach it.

;LOL
I had to get my little brother to get his little hand in and tighten the last header bolt closest to the firewall for me. Good luck.
;LOL

DigitalFalcon said:
When I get done I'll try and post a step by step for anyone else in the future who has to do it.

That would be great:D

Update: The Heater Core is OUT!:D
I finally got it out. The new core comes in Friday and everything should go back together in reverse. Yea! :beer

I'll start a new thread in the next couple of days with the how to details for the next poor schmuck who has to do this.:hb

I will be waiting. Thanks for the step by step.

I think im gonna have to go through this.....

Awaiting the step by step. Thanks man!

mine just blew on my 85. I had to bypass it as I am in the middle of some confusing computer/driveability issues.

I picked up a new core from Advance Auto for $33.

Just had shoulder surgery and am unable to get under the dash right now. Of an interesting note, I already have the computer out due to the other issues.

What a pain in the butt!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought mine from Advance for $38. I am waiting for the step by step.

UB2 SLOW said:
I just bought mine from Advance for $38. I am waiting for the step by step.

My 90 was very much like your 96. Major pain in the butt! The wire harness is everywhere you need to be when doing the job.

I was not happy about doing that one.

It is much different than the early C4 (note--much harder!)

Just plan on having the car down for a day or two while you figure out where all those trim screws go!

still not entirely sure if im gonna have to do this. How do i tell if my heater core needs to be changed. Whats happening in my car is that coolant is seriously leaking out from the heater box area when the car is on. I mean its streaming out.

-chris

That is the telltale sign.

militant_x said:
still not entirely sure if im gonna have to do this. How do i tell if my heater core needs to be changed. Whats happening in my car is that coolant is seriously leaking out from the heater box area when the car is on. I mean its streaming out.

-chris

My 90 was very much like your 96. Major pain in the butt! The wire harness is everywhere you need to be when doing the job.

Thanks man, you are really making me happy about this.

My car has a smell of anti-freeze when I first turn on the heat. I have not had time to research to see if there is a leak inside. I hope it is not, it sounds like a major pain!

Yep, you have a core failure.

Sorry to tell you that. It is only going to get worse.

You need to either bypass it, or tackle it soon, because when it fully ruptures, you will have a mess on your passenger floor carpet.

Darn! :hb

With the money I just spent on rear tires, and what I plan on spending to replace the water pump, opti-spark, and reseal the timing cover, my wife may begin to see this car a money pit. Then it will be real hard to convice her I need more money for mods!

Oh well, maybe I can stretch out some of it until late spring. Then it won't seem so bad.

:cry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom