Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help New Fuel Pump Installed

R

RayL81

I had a new fuel pump installed yesterday on my 81. I drove about 20 miles from the shop to my house with no problems. Later in the evening my wife was left stranded. It seems like she is starving for fuel. I got her started for just a couple of seconds this morning. I just had her towed home. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I'm thinking maybe some dirt got into the jets of the carb, or a defective fuel pump. The mechanic was recommended highly.

Dirt in the carb a possibility but was the fuel filter in the carb replaced?And if so was thread tape used on the filter nut?

Dave

I don't know about the filter. I'm going to call the mechanic now and ask.

thanks for your reply.

No filter was replaced. I checked the filter at the carb and it appears to be fine. I want to test the pressure but did not have the adaptor for the test gauge that connects to the fuel line.

Ray- don't know what to tell you.maybe the pump is faulty.it is interesting that it was fine for 20mi.Mine had thead tape work loose and clog the needle and seat in the carb causing the exact symptom you described. Check those S hoses that feed from the metal lines to the pump that they did not get kinked.

Dave

thanks Burglar,

I've got a mechanic buddy that's going to look at the problem today. I'll mention the S hoses and dirt in the carb. When he checks the pressure from the pump that should give us an indication of where the problem is. (I hope!)

The mystery of the new fuel pump has been solved. One of the new hoses from the fuel pump was being pinched by the A frame member. All fixed now. Vrooooooooooom

Go getem'Ray! I figured it was something simple.

Dave

Always something!!!! Now I need my carb worked on. It died on me yesterday after a short drive. I had it towed home and troubleshot this morning. The carb is loading up with gas and flooding. I thinking maybe when the new fuel pump was installed a piece of dirt got stuck in the jets,,,,,,,,,or something along those lines. I'm pulling it off and having it totally redone. Of course it's a Rochester Q Jet. So I'm grounded again until my baby feels better. Will keep you updated. RayL81 out!!!!!!!

Don't feel bad Ray.Been there done that with mine too.After you have that carb redone,you will be suprised by the difference!

dave

Yeah Burglar,

I can hardly wait that's what my mechanic buddy said also. You know I bought this baby about 4 weeks ago and on the outside she is beautiful. The 1 owner kept her garaged,,,,,,,,but I can't say much for the internal upkeep. It's kind of sad. But not everyone has the same priorities I guess that is why we are all unique.

Ray, does your car have silver interior?It looks that way on your picture.if so,that is really sharp.I wish mine had that.Mine is saddle,its alright ,but that silver is so cool.

Dave

Yeah it's Silver. It is pretty cool. Why don't you post a picture of your baby so we can all admire her????????

Ray- here is a pik or 2.I hope they come out ok.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom