Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

" help, no start after installing super ram"

sxyvet

Corvette
1991 ZO7 coupe, 6 speed,red on red w/most options!
hi there guys,
how are ya!
i have a 1991 L98 vette!
any way i finally got around to installing my super ram this weekend!
mind you, it took all bloddy day to install the dam thing!!
i went to start the thing and no fire!
it cranks over but no start!
i checked fuel preasure guage and it has no preasure at all!!!
i have a fuel adjustable fuel reg and new diaphram gasket just intstalled when i put the super ram on/togeather.
i tested for spark which it does have!
i also cheked for codes,it has a code 13 and code 46, which is oxygen sensor and v.a.t.s!
i checked and adjusted the t.p.s to .54 volts also.
i re done the plug leads in firing order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 as well.
when i removed the distributor i made sure i marked which way every thing was facing i thought anway!
while i was cranking over engine i moved back and forth a little the dist as not sure what timing was at!, no luck.
when i installed dist i lined up oil pump slot with dist shaft/gear!
but may be i still made a mistake!
i heard that the oil preasure switch is not working , the car wont start,is that correct please?
also could it be a fuel pump fuse?,where is the fuel pump fuse located also please?
when i turn the key i dont hear the fuel pump prime up also i noticed?
any ideas/help please guys??
what can i do?, i need to get it started and i have left my sevice manulas up home at my parents so i cant acces for info!
i hope to hear some info/help from you guys please on what to check and look for!
cheers and thanks!
glen

If you cannot hear the fuel pump run for two/three seconds after turning key to the on position, that is what I am sure it is. That just happened to me 2 weeks ago. It's a straight forward procedure, not too difficult at all. The fuel pump fuse is located on the passenger side of the dash (at least on my 92).

hi there 92conv,
thanks for your reply and help!
iv actually tried the fuse idea!
fuse is ok still!
any other ideas please?
thanks
glen

below the brake booster should be a single wire (think its brown) .that will by passthe relay and power up the pump. make sure you have fuel in the tank.

hi there 92conv,
thanks for your reply and help!
iv actually tried the fuse idea!
fuse is ok still!
any other ideas please?
thanks
glen

do you have any spark? you can hook up a timing light to the #1 spark plug and see if the lights comes on when you crank the car. No fuel pressure and no fuel pump prime sound? I would check the oil pressure switch on the driver side and make sure everything is connected correctly. Also check the fuel pump relay. Should be either on the firewall or on the driver side wheel weel, between the battery.

hi there tnt corvette and bill5674,
how are ya!
thanks also for your replys and help guys!!!
i do have spark,yep no fuel preasure or fuel pump primes.
i just pulled the distributor back out and cheked all wires to dist,fuel preasure swtich,wires to dist ect,all seem to be ok and connected.
i have yet to find the relay but now that you have both told me to look near the wheel well/battery i should find it i hope!
i beleive i found the fuse on the firewall, it is a 5 amp,its ok!
speaking of fuel in the tank, guess what my sender unit does not work properely so it could very well be it might of just happened to run out of fuel after i backed it up into the garage!
so i will put some more fuel in the tank soon and give it a try!
i will keep you updated and thanks alot!

if there is no fuel in the tank, the pump cant prime/there will be no prime noise and there wont be any fuel preasure on the guage will there please???
cheers:w

hi there tnt corvette and bill5674,
how are ya!
thanks also for your replys and help guys!!!
i do have spark,yep no fuel preasure or fuel pump primes.
i just pulled the distributor back out and cheked all wires to dist,fuel preasure swtich,wires to dist ect,all seem to be ok and connected.
i have yet to find the relay but now that you have both told me to look near the wheel well/battery i should find it i hope!
i beleive i found the fuse on the firewall, it is a 5 amp,its ok!
speaking of fuel in the tank, guess what my sender unit does not work properely so it could very well be it might of just happened to run out of fuel after i backed it up into the garage!
so i will put some more fuel in the tank soon and give it a try!
i will keep you updated and thanks alot!

if there is no fuel in the tank, the pump cant prime/there will be no prime noise and there wont be any fuel preasure on the guage will there please???
cheers:w

I am not 100% sure if you will hear the fuel pump or not with a empty tank. I know there will be no fuel pressure because there is nothing to pump!

yes you will hear the pump run with no fuel. the wire i am talking about will (i think ) by pass all relays and turn pump on.

NEW UP DATE GUYS!!!

hi again guys,
thanks for your help so far!
any way i checked the fuel lines that bolt to the fuel rails and guess what, d*ick head me put them around the wrong way!
i put them on rite this time and the car fired up!
but now it idles very loud and very highly around the 2,500- 3000 rpm range!
it sounds horible and loud....
what could this be now do you think please?
remembr that i have just added a super ram intake complete with all new gaskets, and as you know they are known to have leaks at times!
do you think i have a bad intake leak may be please?
i have a engine vaccum guage, if i was to fit this up some where it should tell me if there is some sort of leak some where doesnt it?
where would i fit the guage to which house/pipe to get a good reading please?
or may be you think there is another problem ?
any way cheers
look forward to hearing some more !
thanks
glen
Australia

hey glen ..glad you got it running. tough one over the internet. is the noise exhaust around the intake or popping like the timing is out 180? check the linkage and make sure it is at idle stopswith no pressure on the throttle. good luck..bill

hi again guys,
thanks for your help so far!
any way i checked the fuel lines that bolt to the fuel rails and guess what, d*ick head me put them around the wrong way!
i put them on rite this time and the car fired up!
but now it idles very loud and very highly around the 2,500- 3000 rpm range!
it sounds horible and loud....
what could this be now do you think please?
remembr that i have just added a super ram intake complete with all new gaskets, and as you know they are known to have leaks at times!
do you think i have a bad intake leak may be please?
i have a engine vaccum guage, if i was to fit this up some where it should tell me if there is some sort of leak some where doesnt it?
where would i fit the guage to which house/pipe to get a good reading please?
or may be you think there is another problem ?
any way cheers
look forward to hearing some more !
thanks
glen
Australia

if i recall correctly there is/are a couple or one plug on the inside top of the plenum that must be plugged. Also check for vacume leaks and make sure the throttle cable is on correctly.

hi bill5674,
how are ya mate.
thanks for your help and advice.
yeah im glad to at least just to get the engine to fire now!
buy its running/idle very high, around 3,000 rpm
yep the noise you mentioned is around the front area of engine bay!
iv checked the throttle body and it is ok.
you mentioned timing, i think i do have the timing all stuffed up mate...
can you please give me some idea on how to start from scratch and install the distributor up in the right timing please?
i heard first you should rotate engine by hand to locate top dead centre @ number 1 cylinder ?
then what do i do now please ?
any advice would be great please!
thanks alot
glen :)

if i recall correctly there is/are a couple or one plug on the inside top of the plenum that must be plugged. Also check for vacume leaks and make sure the throttle cable is on correctly.

hi there tnt corvette,
how are ya mate.
thank you also for your help!
yep i checked the throttle body and linkaeges, all ok!
i also checked the plugs inside the plenum as well!
whats the best way to check for vaccun leaks please?
i have a engine vacuum guage can i use that?, and plug it into varoius pipes at all?
thanks again
cheers
glen

hey glen ,lets try. on my car to turn the engine over with a ratchet is a pain in a$$ i took of the big frisbee looking thing to gain access to the front of the motor. not sure if you have one. pull #1 spark plug, as you turn engine overwatch for the timing marks on the lower damper pulley . stand on the drivers side for this .at least drivers side in the US. as you turn over look for a line on pulley. you should feel compression as the mark hits the zero tab.pull cap and see if you are pointed at #1.if not reset dist. its okay if it doesn`t drop all the way down so longs as the gears are meshed. tap the key and the slotted oil pump drive in the bottom will line up. noise might be from the air pump ?i remember so pipe comming from the exhaust to some hoses around front of motor...keep us posted bill

hi again mate bill5674

iv got no air pump or frisbee!
do you mean the rotor pointing at #1 on the distributor do you please mate?
ok , i will give it a go later today and keep you posted mate!
cheers
glen

have you fixed the superram yet?

if you got a VATS code, that shuts off your fuel pump, you will get no fuel in that event...

I ordered a super ram, if you have got it running, let me know if you noticed a big difference and anything or opinions you have on it would be great. if your still stranded, I can help you with the vats problem, you can actually over ride that with a $25 part so it wont leave you stranded one day.

thanks, cheers :beer

If you're using the SuperRam base (intake manifold) they're NOTORIOUS for not sealing right, and the lower ports on the runners also have issues. Take a spray can of carburator cleaner or other similarly-volatile substance and carefully spray it at each intake runner where it meets the base, and then at where the base meets the heads. If the idle goes up at any time, then you've got your leak. You can also have a mechanic run a 'smoke test' which will blow smoke out where-ever the leaks are, but that's a bit pricey.

On my SuperRam, I had four leaks initially, with the biggest being where the base didn't meet the heads properly (the ports didnt' line up). If you're sucking extra air into the engine, your idle will be way off.

[RICHR]

Are you sure you have the runners installed on the proper side?

The runners are not interchangeable. If you installed the driverside runner on the passengerside and the passengerside runner on the driverside, they will bolt up but you'll have a vacuum leak where the plenum bolts to the intake manifold.

You can identify which runner is for which side by matching the middle gasket from the runner to the intake manifold.

I am very close to ordering a super ram for my car. What kinds of fit problems did you all run into? I have heard that they dont fit well under the hood of the corvettes?

Also, any suggestions about getting a fairly decent seal the first time around?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom