Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help Removing Bolt on Calipers

J

Johnnykretentiv

I decided to try my hand at some light maintenance work this weekend. I replaced the brake pads on my Mustang. I got a decent jack and some jack stands and pads of course.

I got the calipers off just fine but when it came to taking off the rotors (for inspection) I found that I COULD NOT get that damn 15 mm bolt loose. I worked on it for about 10 min. Just enough time to really booger up the bolt head and make it almost useless. I'm a pretty decent sized guy (225 and not too fat) my neighbor is a monster (easily 280 lbs) and neither of us could budge that sucker.

The rotor is in really good shape so I sanded it down and cleaned everything up as best I could and replaced the pads. All is fine and I'm stopping on a dime.

The question is (I assume this is a "work smart not harder kind of thing".) What do I do when it's time to replace that rotor? Get the Bob Villa bolt grippers socket set and some penetration spray, turn the steering wheel and grab a piece of steel pipe as a breaker? Or should I take it to the mechanic and let him twist the head off of the bolt and back it outta there?

I know you can't see into the future but what would you do? Is this common?

Thanks

But I'll tell you that was a great experience and I'm so glad I changed the pads myself. Now for the Jag's brakes. I'll save some big money on that one if I do them myself. :D

I don't know about the rotors on a Corvette but on a lot of cars and trailers the bolt is a reverse thread.

I thought of that one. The other bolts can off the old fashioned way. Right tighty left loosey.

First off I would not have bought a Mustang or any other Ford product for that matter. The next best option would be to sell or trade it off. Just my $0.02

PB BLASTER!

get a can of this for it....hose it down good and let it soak for awhile....hose it again, give it a few whacks to help vibrate it into the bolted area and try that......also if possible try some heat...maybe a propane torch.

Not sure if you can do this but..... if you remove a few bolts, and the last one is stuck, it is usually due to all the pressue from the others being loosened , and putting all the pressure on the remaining bolt. in this case, put the ones your able to remove back in and tighten them down to relieve the pressure on the stuck one, then remove them all.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Chas:cool

IMHO....

First off I would not have bought a Mustang or any other Ford product for that matter. The next best option would be to sell or trade it off. Just my $0.02

My first new car was a Mustang...not a bad ride at all. My son Ben had a 2007 GT that he put a Saleen Supercharger on...talk about puttin you back in your seat!

Cars are cars....in America...as long as a man is keeping us working here , Im good with what he has.

Thanks... next. :eyerole It has actually been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

I'm confident I can get that sucker off of there with some penetrator and a breaker bar. Adding a little heat is a good idea too.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try in a few months when she's due for another checkup.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom