Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP...Trailers, Towing, and Corvettes...

1KULC7

Corvette
2014 Convertible
HELP...I am not familiar at all with trailers, towing, and loading the Corvette. So here are some questions:

First, I own a 2-wheel rear drive Trailblazer that has the two hitch on the car with the electrical plug from the factory. Its a 2002 LS model. Can I purchase an enclosed trailer, any recommendations, explain the electric braking systems, anything else needed for the car.
What else will I need to purchase, about how much does the enclose trailer
(BASIC MODEL) cost. I plan to tow both long and short trips, only using it about seven - ten time per year. What brand do you recommend, I notices there were several, what options, keeping it simple, I am not going to race

Second, I am towing a 1963 Corvette Coupe.

Third, I live in Northern Virginia, any recommendation of an enclosed trailer dealer in my area? Again pricing?

What should I stay away from?

Really would appreciate your help and advice.....many thanks

Many thanks that is one stop shopping...only thing it does not mention the TRAILBLAZER...but I guess that is considered a full size Blazer...

Freshen that thread if you have a question, such as the Trailblazer question. I'm sure we have people who could answer it for you. :CAC

Collin, I pull a 28ft Haulmark "fridge" w/ a 5.4L Linc. Navigator - it tows moderately well when loaded but I believe I am at the limit between the trailer weight and car inside - Check with the wieght limits of your truck - I bet it isn't up to the task of hauling a big box - maybe - BIG MAYBE, you could pull a 20 ft enclosed but I would not feel comfortable doing so...

That is one reason why I tow w/ the Navi. instead of my wifes 5.9L Grand Cherokee - The Cherokee has more torque but is shorter on the wheelbase and I don't like even pulling a little trailer.

Perfect trailer for the smaller trucks is an open one w/ a rock shield up on the nose...

On a good day, 6 or 7 grand can get you a basic trailer w/ some basic features

Do a web search on trailer builders and they will generally list MSRP's then negotiate accordingly -

In Norva, Hillwood is who I have done business with before - decent selection and knowledge.

I hope I am wrong about the truck and you don't have to go & buy a full size...

FWIW, I am looking at F350 SD's (dually crew cab) and a 44 + gooseneck for my needs :D - please don't tell my wife if you see her around at the shows :cool

Trailers

I have had a 20ft and a 28ft pace shadow GT trailers but I also drive a diesel ford f350 and had no problems

The tongue weight is a big issue on the 28ft VERY HEAVEY

For your vehicle I wouldnt go over a 20fter maybe even a little shorter

When loaded they are haevy and slow to stop

Trailer brakes are a MUST

I actually just bought an open trailer last week its a big tex

very easy to load and pull

also ck ebay they have brand new trailers on there cheap there may be 1 in your area

PACE is a good trailer

good luck

Jim

Towing with a short wheel based vehicle is ok with a short wheel base trailer, the longer the trailer is the more control the trailer has. I have a 16 foot enclosed trailer, I use for a tool box. (I also tow a couple of EQ trailers with all sorts of tractors, a RV, and a couple of other trailers, I am always dragging something home :L). When towing another vehicle/tractor I usually grab one of my dad's f-350s with duallies.

I would recommend a dual axle trailer. Single axles are ok but if you have a blow out things can get rough.
If you have a blow out with a dual axle trailer all you will notice is red lights of the cop car pulling you over for driveing on the rims when you have a blow out (no joke had it happen twice in the last year and a half, on brand new (less then 700 miles) 10 ply tires, the second time it happened I checked them no more then thirty miles before)

Brakes on all axles is a must if you are going long distance, less wear on the brakes and more stopping power. I have electric brakes on all of the trailers, I like to be able to apply the trailer brakes without haveing to apply the tow vehicle brakes.

load levelers are a must if you are towing at close to the max of your tow vehicle. I have them but I only use them for the bronco I don't when I am useing either of my dad's trucks, I have had them on but it wasn't helpful.

sway bars are nice but with a short wheel base tow vehicle, I have found the trailer with sway bar will push the front of the vehicle sideway so you end up doing allot of steering to keep you rig in your lane.

For longer trips I would think about getting a bigger tow vehicle, I have towed my 7500lb box on 600 mile trips with the bronco (7500lbs is the max for a bronco) it is allot harder on the driver than when I have made the same trip with the F-350 and the trailer.

You don't need a 4x4 to tow, a 4x2 is fine. A good off road vehicle usually isn't a good tow vehicle.

I hope this helps a bit, I am writeing this late at night and I am a bit sleepy

Ralph

Don't Under Tow

The one most important thing in towing is the tow vehicle. I've been pulling trailers for years and years and my advice is always get the right truck for the job. In the long run, it's worth every penny for safety and peace of mind. As listed in some of the tips Ken posted, I didn't read them all but I did try to steer Ken in the right direction when he was buying his trailer and setting it up. Over kill is better than borderline when it comes to gross vehicle weight and towing capacity. I currently have a two place snowmobile trailer, a 6X12 enclosed and a 24'enclosed and I use an F350 XLT extended cab 8' bed diesel with a one ton rating. The truck has a 145 inch wheelbase, the longer, the better as long as the GVW is there.
Remember what you're towing and it's value to you not to mention your safety and the safety of everyone you encounter on the road. I have my own views on certain things dealing with towing and I use the best and strongest of everything. Better safe than sorry. Drop me a PM if I can help, let us know what you decide.

rowdy is correct
i had an open car trailer that weighed about 1000lbs and a drag car that weighed 2100lbs...my 1990 ford f150/302 and aod trans pulled it pretty good.a little tough up hills but not bad at all.well,i couldnt pass up a deal on a 24ft classic enclosed trailer.had all the bells and whistles but at about 3000lbs unloaded and that big huge totally un -aerodynamic box,my f150 struggled getting her home,and that was unloaded!!......now drop 2100 lb race car,tools,4 wheeler etc...and now i was towing a brick that was probably 6500lbs...more than double the weight of my open trailer!!

a couple of hard pulls and a couple weeks later my aod trans grenaded....so i ended up doing some mods to the 302 to get about 210 horse out of her...had a bullet proof aod built and then dropped a set of 3.73 gears into the 8.8 rear...now $2000.00 later i have a truck that is still on the border of pulling this rig......so alot of thought has to go into your purchase...you have to figure between your car and even a 20ft trailer you have to be at least 5000lbs...i am unsure if a trailblazer would be up to this.but believe me,you can have the most gorgeous trailer but if you cant pull it,what the heck good is having one?

another thing is the tongue weight...once you drop the trailer down,the back of the trailblazer will probably sag bigtime...i had to add a leaf to my springs and then put a set of weight distribution bars on...they cost 300.00 but did a nice job of leveling things out

one thing about trailers though...if you buy a nice one,if you keep it looking good,it hardly drops in value...you can almost sell one for what you paid for it if its nice quality.

jenavet said:
one thing about trailers though...if you buy a nice one,if you keep it looking good,it hardly drops in value...you can almost sell one for what you paid for it if its nice quality.
I just don't have sales skills; it took me eight months and a four-thousand dollar discount to sell my Featherlite last year. I can't seem to even give stuff away! :(

"Maybe".........

Not to hijack your thread Collin, I ran into the guy I bought my 24' from and he's selling one, maybe two more of his trailers. He's bringing home the one I wanted originally but he wasn't selling then next month from Fla. so I might be upgrading, if so mine will be for sale. I'll know after I get back from Daytona for bike week mid March. My point is, they're out there unless you want a new one, keep your eyes and ears open, Ken's was a heck of a deal, I never could figure out why it didn't sell quicker or for more money.:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom