Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with Codes - No Start

yellowlust

Corvette
1995 Comp Yellow Vert
Let me just say it was difficult enough just trying to figure out where to stick the damn paperclip...

95 with OBDII connector (16 pin). Finally figured it out and jumped 4 and 12. Got following codes:

H53 (Low voltage?)

---

---

---
A.

then

Next I got from banging around on the trip comp buttons...

H53

Voltage on display is 11.9, yesterday when it wouldn't start it was 12.9 or so. That's got to be enough to at least trigger the solenoid, no?

From here 53=ECM detected a battery voltage either above 17.1 volts or below 8 volts.

But it's behaving like a VATS problem, I saw somewhere a code 53 might be PASS Key Open which leads me to this:

http://www.vettetop100.com/crowz/1995.htm

Service Bulletin Number: 01-053
Bulletin Sequence Number: 062
Date of Bulletin: 9502
NHTSA Item Number: SB039336
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: CORVETTE
Year: 1995
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION ANTI-THEFT CONTROLLER
Summary: INTERMITTENT OPEN GROUND ON VATS CIRCUIT OF THE CCM CAUSING VEHICLES TO EXPERIENCE A NO CRANK CONDITION. *TW

Ok, solutions?
VATS bypass?
How do I find out the resolution to Service Bulletin Number: 01-053?

This may seem a little simplistic, but did you check the battery connections?

The errors displayed can be for the following modules.

1.1 Errors for the CCM (Central Control Module).
4.1 Errors for PCM/ECM (Computer for Engine and Trans).
9.1 Errors for ABS/TCS
A.1 Errors for DERM (Air bag).

If the error is Trouble code 53 for the CCM, the key pellet is not being read properly.

When you turn the ignition key to run, the Security light in the dash cluster should light for a second then go out.
If the Security light stays on, the key pellet resistance does not match what the CCM was programmed for.

The CCM will not allow the starter to engage. There is a 3
minute delay where you can't start the car.

Most likely problem is a worn key pellet, dirty key pellet,
(try using a spare key) worn contacts in the ignition key cylinder or broken wire in the ignition key cylinder.

If you have an ohm meter, measure the resistance of the key pellet.

Drop the black plastic panel below the steering column. You'll see at the base of the steering column a small two wire connector. Manual shows the harness as a White/Black and a Purple/White wire going to the CCM and two Black wires that go to the ignition key cylinder. Disconnect the connector. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder. With the ohm meter measure the resistance at the wiring harness plug going up to the steering column. (Two Black wires).

It should measure the same resistance as the key pellet. If it doesn't, the ignition key cylinder needs to be replaced.

For test purposes you can bypass the ignition key cylinder, by placing a resistor of the same value as your key pellet across the connector going to the CCM. This should allow you to start the engine.

Security light does stay on. Kick panel is already removed (to check the clutch safety switch) and I'm already to measure the pellet(s).

I have had similar VATS problems with my 86, so I'm use to this kind of fun.

Thanks.

Ok, need more help here for the electrically-challenged:

Measure resistance of pellet:

Set Multimeter to 2VK Ohms and get .521

Went to Radio Shack and got one Pack of 10k OHm 1/4 watt resistors (pn. 271-1335), and 2 packs of 22k Ohm 1/4 watt Resistors (pn. 271-1339), so if I run this in series I should get 54k Ohm.

Am I even close?

Have you sprayed ARmour All or something like that to clean the dash and steering column? That stuff if it gets into the key opening will cause all kinds of issues with not starting etc.

Let me just say it was difficult enough just trying to figure out where to stick the damn paperclip...

95 with OBDII connector (16 pin). Finally figured it out and jumped 4 and 12. Got following codes:

H53 (Low voltage?)

---

---

---
A.

then

Next I got from banging around on the trip comp buttons...

H53

Voltage on display is 11.9, yesterday when it wouldn't start it was 12.9 or so. That's got to be enough to at least trigger the solenoid, no?

From here 53=ECM detected a battery voltage either above 17.1 volts or below 8 volts.

But it's behaving like a VATS problem, I saw somewhere a code 53 might be PASS Key Open which leads me to this:

Service Bulletin Number: 01-053
Bulletin Sequence Number: 062
Date of Bulletin: 9502
NHTSA Item Number: SB039336
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: CORVETTE
Year: 1995
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION ANTI-THEFT CONTROLLER
Summary: INTERMITTENT OPEN GROUND ON VATS CIRCUIT OF THE CCM CAUSING VEHICLES TO EXPERIENCE A NO CRANK CONDITION. *TW

Ok, solutions?
VATS bypass?
How do I find out the resolution to Service Bulletin Number: 01-053?

Should be a '4' Is the dash LED flickering???

I think you have problem different than VATS / dirty ignition key-pellet' reader / pocket lint on key.

I think there's corrosion at grounds for PCM

So nwhere are these pictures that are coming soon

It was the VATS. Tutorial with pictures coming real soon...
So its 2013 are the pics coming any sooner yet? I sure could use them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom