Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with door hinge rebuild kit

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
Two of the door hinges on my 66 have play in them so I decided to purchase a hinge rebuild kit to do all four. All the spring ears are in good shape, no need to replace them. What I got was a kit with 4 pins (all longer than the stock ones by about 1/4" and 8 bushings - no instructions. Maybe I'm dense, but other than the fact that I have to remove the old pins somehow and replace them with the new pins, I don't know how to go about doing this. Any help out there? Has someone done this before?

I can post pics of the pin kit and hinges, if needed.

Islander,

If you haven't already removed the doors, do so. First, mark the current positioning of the large bolts inside the door, and any possible shims, so that you'll have a good start on re-adjustment when you re-install the doors.

Next, after taking note of the orientation of the existing bushings and pins, simply remove the old pins and punch out the old bushings.

Install the new ones, reinstall the doors, remove the striker plate, and begin adjusting for door fit. Once it seems correct, reinstall the striker and adjust it to get proper closure.

Hmmm, didn't think it'd be that simple, but not knowing I didn't want to mess up the assemblies or the kit. Thanks, 67.

Oh, the doors were off when I bought the shell, it'll be fun to put that puzzle back together!

Islander said:
Hmmm, didn't think it'd be that simple, but not knowing I didn't want to mess up the assemblies or the kit. Thanks, 67.

Oh, the doors were off when I bought the shell, it'll be fun to put that puzzle back together!

Islander,

One of my articles that was previously published by the NCRS " RESTORER " ,describes in detail the correct way the installation of Corvette doors can be done by one person only, and this by a first time restorer.

Refer to volume 29, # 3, Winter 2003, on page 33 for the complete article. It's called " Doors: Close them for good ".

I promise you that done this way, you will not be stressed out. :D Good luck

Stepinwolf

stepinwolf said:
Islander,

One of my articles that was previously published by the NCRS " Driveline " ,describes in detail the correct way the installation of Corvette doors can be done by one person only, and this by a first time restorer.

Refer to volume 29, # 3, Winter 2003, on page 33 for the complete article. It's called " Doors: Close them for good ".

I promise you that done this way, you will not be stressed out. :D Good luck

Stepinwolf

Did you mean the Corvette Restorer? I can't find anything other that Parts for Sale ads in the Driveline on page 33. If it's the Restorer, then I'm SOL because I can't find that issue along with the Spring and Summer 2003 issues. Bummer.

Islander said:
Did you mean the Corvette Restorer? I can't find anything other that Parts for Sale ads in the Driveline on page 33. If it's the Restorer, then I'm SOL because I can't find that issue along with the Spring and Summer 2003 issues. Bummer.

Sorry to have given you the incorrect information. I had a brain fart. It's in the Restorer that the tech article appeared in. If you can't get your hands on a copy, send me your personal e-mail address , and I will try to scan it and send it to you.

Stepinwolf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom