Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with Engine Identification

obas

I have a non numbers matching 1975 vette and I am trying to find where the 350 block came from. I can't seem to find it on any of the identification charts.

Casting # 1400207 (I found a 14010207 but that is not what is on the block)

Engine code # V0426AFR (Only reference I found for AFR was a big block

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for checking, but as you will see from the attached photo the number doesn't have an additional "1". Possibly a crate engine?

Attachments

• cast1.JPG
    cast1.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 121
Even crate engines would have a traditional casting number and date and sometimes a conventional stamped code. I'm gonna guess that it's actually 14010207 but for whatever reason the 1 is just not visible.

Most likely an early 80s truck engine given the casting number and the engine code starting with an 'A'.

The 366 engines were classified as big blocks/tall deck and don't have casting numbers anything like yours. Can you post a up a close up pic of your stamp pad?

...Does your book state the block size?...

Nothing other than 366 and confirming what Mikey posted; truck big block.

...Maybe the site has the wrong information...

Very likely.

Plant code V indicates the Flint engine assembly plant. If memory serves, Flint built small blocks. Looks like a smallblock in your pics.

:)

You might try this site for engine codes.

Chevy Engine Codes

There are small block suffixes starting with A and 3 characters long.

Check the section for small blocks labeled "3N-CDR"...Also check what you are seeing on the block. you may be mis-reading a character. Cannot see clearly on the picture you posted.

"V" prefix was definitely FLINT. My NCRS Top Flight 69 350/350 was a Flint engine with a V as the first digit.

Attached are some close up pictures of the casting and engine numbers. The AFR is very clear. Also I attached another picture of the engine. My understanding is if it was a big block the valve covers would be much bigger. What am I missing here?

Thanks again for everyone's help. Hopefully I will be in a position to contribute back one day.

SuffixA.jpgCastingA.jpgEngineA.jpg

It's definitely a small block so the AFR machine code being a 366 big block truck makes no sense. I can find no further references to your casting number- aside than other people with the same question.

I'm stumped. :mad

Casting #?

The second picture of the casting # is pretty clear. There seems to be a gap in it where a digit could be missing.

That said, where on the block casting are you seeing this number??
In my experience, small block Chevy casting #s appear at the rear of the block on one of the top surfaces of the part of the casting the bell housing bolts to. Also in my experience block casting numbers are in a typeface considerably larger than the one shown...about 1/2 inch high. On the other surface there will be a date code and a little "clock" (circle of dots with an arrow pointing to one of them).

I was wondering if you might have a "generic' GM 350 engine rather than an actual Chevy or Corvette engine. After about 1973 or so there were generic GM V8s of 350 cubic inches used in in th B-O-P families and they would likely bolt up to your transmission just fine. In fact you might be dealing with an engine and trans that came out of a mid 70's or later Buick, Olds or Pontiac.

I was wondering if you might have a "generic' GM 350 engine rather than an actual Chevy or Corvette engine. After about 1973 or so there were generic GM V8s of 350 cubic inches used in in th B-O-P families and they would likely bolt up to your transmission just fine. In fact you might be dealing with an engine and trans that came out of a mid 70's or later Buick, Olds or Pontiac.

This is true, but they still followed the same 'rules' for casting numbers etc. This applied to all four engine plants and not just the two US based operations as far as I know. We know that this engine came from the Flint plant but not much else.

Right, I posted in the Chevy forum this morning to expand the search. I need to get a starter but don't know which engine to request it for.

Didn't think it would be this hard to find out.

Starter...Do you have the old one?

If you have the old starter it will have a number on it. If you aren't doing a judged restoration take the old one down to your local NAPA and exchange it for a rebuilt....no brainer.

Starter- PS

I have a perfectly good 1974(?) Chevy small block starter down in my basement spare parts box...took it out of my 1969 Top Flight 350/350 Corvette Coupe when I restored it.

It is the "later style" (Mounts to block and not to the bellhousing as early Chevy V8s did) and won't fit my 62 which has the early style bellhousing mounted starter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom