Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help with my current engine

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Okay, so Ive owned my 1980 L82 for about 5years now... since I was 16. Over the years I have done a lot of restoration, but never got into the motor...mainly because of the price. The restoration I did was directed towards making it fun AND safe to drive, including major front and rear suspension/steering overhauling. I did most of this work myself, working part time as a mechanic during high school. Anyways... I now work full time as a Paramedic, and Im getting closer to the point where Im going to pull my motor.

Originally I had thought the motor in the car was original. It even had the appropriate L82 valve covers, but I never really looked into it to see what was in there. A couple of years ago I got suspicious when some of the Corporate blue block paint used in 1980 started to peel of the block, revealing orange paint which indicated the block may have been older than I thought. So I finally cleaned the block up and found the casting number and block ID number, and this is where my question comes in. From what Ive looked up the block is like a 1971 or 1972 010 block, which is supposedly a pretty good block...is that right? I believe the motor is from McKinnon Industries according to the casting number, what does this mean?

So basically, where I stand now is I have no idea what is in my car! I think Im going to pull the motor this winter and start from scratch. Anyways, sorry for the rambling, Im just looking to get any information from anybody knowledgable on this topic.... Here are the numbers, and I appreciate any help:thumb

Casting # (passenger side on block pad below R head)
K04 02 CGC

Block # (on the driver side of the block near the firewall)

Thanks again, I really appreciate any insight into this.

The 010 block are 4 bolt mains and are of a higher nickel content. Primarly used for heavy duty applications. Not sure if they were used in Vettes and Chevelles, certainly in trucks. The trucks I can guarentee. I have one sitting on an engine stand now that was removed from a 1976 Blazer, spun a crank bearing. At one time they were highly sought after.

tcxd40

Casting # (passenger side on block pad below R head)
K04 02 CGC

Block # (on the driver side of the block near the firewall)

Thanks again, I really appreciate any insight into this.

Stamp pad K0402CGC=

K= block cast and engine assembled at McKinnon Industries St. Catherines Ontario.

0402= Engine assembled on April 02

CGC= 1971 350 std. trans, police/taxi, 245hp 2bbl full size car

Casting number 3970010 blocks were made from 1969 until the late 70s and were easily the most widely produced engine block in GM history, having been installed in just about every line of car and truck available in that era. The majority were bog standard duty 2 bolt low perf engines, although they were suitable for high perf applications also. There's still millions of them around. :thumb

(passenger side on block pad below R head)
K04 02 CGC

K St. Catherines Ontario engine assembly plant. Not a Corvette block, probably Camaro or Firebird.

0402 Date engine was assembled at St. Catherines, April 2nd

CGC engine identificaiton suffix 1971 Pontiac, Chevelle, or El Camino

:)

The 4 bolt blocks have the 010 cast into the block behind the timing cover.

As do the 2 bolt blocks, same casting, same molds, same production line. The only difference between a 2 bolt and 4 bolt block were the drilling and tapping operations, done long after they were cast.

That would be news to me. Just installed a 2 bolt block back into a '70 Caprice no 010 under the timing cover??

May depend on where the block was cast?? Flint ,Tonawanda ?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom