Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help

C

c4ever

I've had intermittent problems with starting. I've metered the system and these are the results.
Neutral safety switch: purple 7+vt in start pos
purple white trace 7+vt in start pos
red 7+vt in start pos
green 0 vt in start pos.
What is the wiring to bypass this switch if that is the problem.

Solonoid ign. wire in start pos. 0 vt. I assume it is due to the safety switch. Is this correct.

In addition I noticed that the relay I usually hear engage when turning the ign to start is no longer engaging?
Geeeez all I did was install a new starter. Is there a particular fuse or link I can check.
My GM manuals really fall short on this information.
Thanks to all in advance.
Carlo

Sometimes its the shifter's contact to the switch that fails to provide the correct engagement of the internal contacts. Maybe yours has come out of adjustment. My 78 needs to be adjusted, but mine isn't so bad that I don't know what to do to counter it.

I have to jiggle the gearshift a bit to get it to start sometimes. Its out of alignment just enough.

I seriously recommend going to a public library and photocopying a schematic out of a Mitchell Systems manual for your wiring harness. Its an essential tool to understanding the beast. I laminated my photocopy, and if it gets greasy- I JUST WIPE IT OFF!

Another good idea is to get a 9v battery, some wires and an dash bulb and build your own trouble shooting tool (logic tool). Based upon the schematic, you hook up the series of + & - wires to the switch with a light bulb on one side. If its supposed to complete a curcuit and fails to illuminate the bulb, you know its the switch. Its livin' la vida ghetto, but it works.

Good luck.

DarkShark,
Thanks. I found the culprit. Now don't everyone laugh at once:(
The one thing I didn't check was battery. Even though she started just fine when I moved her into position this morning, I guess it was borderline enough where she needed a little giddyup to get her going. Well I did get to do a little housekeeping under the console:duh and she cranks nice and steady now no more sluggish crank:dance Now it's onto the parkway for a little R&R and then a long dip in the pool.
Have a great weekend averyone :w

Carlo

Now that is the kind of problem I love to fix!

Of course in my case, the switch really would have been bad, but while testing it I would have shorted out the battery and caused at least one new problem.

Glad you got it fixed!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom