Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hey guys need some help on a 70 Vette real, real fast!

65coupe

My co-worker has found a 1970 Corvette "Shark" in an impound lot that the guy needs to sell due to bankruptcy. First off, what is a Shark? I've only ever heard of the Makos, never a 70 model Shark. Input? Anyone? He says the thing has fixed headlights, hence the shark title I believe. Anyone know the factory motor for this car? I believe there was a swap done. I know it has a 4-speed behind it now. I believe it was caught mid-restoration with all of the hard work done when the guy went bottoms up. I really just need to find as much information on this car as quickly as possible. I checked some online ads to see what the general going price of one in decent shape. I found ones from 18k all the way up to 32k. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!
DH

just a nickname...

65coupe said:
My co-worker has found a 1970 Corvette "Shark" in an impound lot that the guy needs to sell due to bankruptcy. First off, what is a Shark? I've only ever heard of the Makos, never a 70 model Shark. Input? Anyone? He says the thing has fixed headlights, hence the shark title I believe. Anyone know the factory motor for this car? I believe there was a swap done. I know it has a 4-speed behind it now. I believe it was caught mid-restoration with all of the hard work done when the guy went bottoms up. I really just need to find as much information on this car as quickly as possible. I checked some online ads to see what the general going price of one in decent shape. I found ones from 18k all the way up to 32k. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!
DH
the Mako Shark concept car was the base for the early 60's Corvette Sting Rays..or C-2....then there is the Manta Ray concept car that came in the later 60's that was the base for the next generation of Corvette Stingray's..or C-3 ....the shark moniker just stuck, wasnt a body style or badge . just a nick name that is used ..the headlights are fixed because they dont work properly and they didnt want to spend the cash to make them right, its a kit you can buy as a easy fix , i guess.....the cars vin may be able to give you the engine data also..."if you post it ,it will come"...post your vin and someone here will have the knowhow to tell you the specs.....my 2 cents....good luck. :beer

All C3 corvettes, (68-82) are considered "Sharks", because the body style was based on the Mako Shark. It could have a BB in, but you will need more info on it to determine that. Most 70's that I see in great shape are around 15-20K range. Some people are really proud of theirs and go up to 32K.

Great great. So the 427 BB was an option correct? What was the standard? Or were there several options?

65coupe said:
Great great. So the 427 BB was an option correct? What was the standard? Or were there several options?
No 1970 Corvettes were built with a 427. If it was a big block, it was a 454. There were 4 different engine options in 1970, three small block, one big block.

With the fixed headlights and supposed NOM, I'm not sure this car is that 'original' and may not be worth an awful lot. Why not get somebody knowlegeable to look at the car and see what's what. :beer

The big block option in 1970 was a 454 not a 427. The hood has a raised scoop/bulge to accomodate the larger intake manifold. It also has decals saying LT-1 on the hood if it has the LT-1 motor (350 SB with 370 HP). This is a very desirable motor. Go to the 70 corvette resistry online for some pictures

You can't tell what engine or any options came with the car by using the VIN. Corvette did not add an engine code in the VIN until the 1972 model year. You can look for clues such as tach (300 hp - 5300 redline, 350 hp - 6000 redline, 370 hp (LT-1) - 6500 redline, 390 hp big block - 5600 redline) , certain options (for example A/C and Auto not available with LT-1), or size of sway bars, but all this stuff can easily be changed. Values vary greatly ($10 - $20K plus) based on engine, options and orginality. LT-1 or 454 (390hp) roadsters bring top money.

65coupe said:
Standard appointments for 1970 was: 350CI 300HP engine, 4-speed wide ratio trans, vinyl interior trim, soft top (conv.) or t-tops (coupe) were included in the base price.
The 1970 350 block casting # would be: 3970010 (back of the engine on top drivers side). If the motors original and hasn't had the block decked the engine suffix stamp should be on the pass. front engine pad. All of the 350 & 454 motors started the suffix with a "C". In my reference material there are 18 suffix's listed. Good luck.

Steve

Thanks for all of the info guys. Very helpful.
Hes not too terribly worried about tiny details, just wanted to get a better idea of what he could get out of the car. Hes buying it for 2500. Good deal, eh?

65coupe said:
Thanks for all of the info guys. Very helpful.
Hes not too terribly worried about tiny details, just wanted to get a better idea of what he could get out of the car. Hes buying it for 2500. Good deal, eh?
$2500? What's the catch? Rust bucket?

I just got back from his place dropping off more pictures of 70' vettes and general info.

He had some snap-shots his son delivered of the car. The guy didn't like the paintjob when he bought it and decided to have it re-painted. Well he ran out of cash before that point. So right now the car is stripped down and ready to be painted. Not a spot of rust on it. The interior has been dis-assembled and the seats thrown out altogether. The motor was built last year but only driven a few times. I believe the guy spent somewhere around 4k on the motor and bought a new Muncie to back it up. He had the 350 stroked to a 402. Hes also willing to sign a contract saying that if my co-worker finds anything wrong with the car within 7 days he'll take it back no questions asked. That is to say, if anything is not as the man said it was. Hes planning on taking me up there to pick it up and bring it to his house next friday.

He now has an extensive list of projects he needs to start on once his garage is done. A 70 Nova, 68 Camaro, the 70 Vette, and his two 61 Impalas. Not to mentions his daily cars, an 88 Chevy Pick-Up, 94 Vette, 86 Camaro, and 91 Blazer. And the Izuzu box-van. He likes to make jokes abotu his yard looking like a used-car lot. He has to keep the projects covered so people don't constantly stop by and ask if they are for sale.

Here's some trend data for your friend to munch on... For what he's going to spend getting the car up to snuff, he will have paid more in the end than buying the equivalent outright. However, this allows him to not have all that cash up front. Sounds like a lot of projects he's got on his plate!
I don't know about other cars, but with your typical vette, the whole is not worth the sum of it's parts that you'll put into it (if ya building it yourself...)
Could be a good deal though...

Well hes buying for 2,500 and can get it into above average shape for 6-8k more. I think he'll be able to sell the end product for more than 10,500. He'll probably end up keeping it either way. I know the Impala is for weekends when its finished, and the Nova (which was mine) is for his grand son.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom