Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hi beam stuck on

Corvette
1981 HD Suspension; ZN1 Option
Has anyone had the hi beam setting stuck? Did you replace the switch or did a trick or quick fix corrected the problem?

I have found that I light tap with a screw driver can sometimes free up a stuck switch. Not sure if this would work for the dimmer switch. It normally doesn't take long before it sticks again though.

The switch is loose. I disconnected the rag joint and lowered the steering wheel (seems like Deja Vu all over again -10 years later. Lol).

hope to finish this weekend.

Sounds like your going to have to take the column apart to fix (tighten)it up....
good luck Gerry!!!!

As the switch is on the outside it isn't a big problem, only a big problem to reach it without back problems. Good luck Gerry! [emoji1]

Greetings Peter

Yeah, the column has to be lowered because that same plate that covers the ignition switch, covers the bracket portion (and screws) for the dimmer switch. :)

Fixed. Amazingly how work it involves just to adjust/tightened it in its place. lol:L

Here are some shots:

A view across top of column:

20150419_163526673_iOS.jpg

View of dimmer switch. The switch is on left side of steering column, about 9 0'clock.

20150419_163552236_iOS.jpg

Here column is hanging about an inch and a half off its support (with rag joint disconnected).

20150419_163540372_iOS.jpg

The short screw up front and the nut/stud combo in the background, hold both; the ignition switch and the dimmer switch.

20150419_163626619_iOS.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom