Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hi From North Carolina, and power window advise needed

Welcome to the cac and NC :D Nice to have another vette in the state
Yeah, well there is more the 1 or 2 of us here!!!! Welcome to CAC!!!!:upthumbs

Welcome Dawn. I'm a newbie here too.

On the window issue I have nothing specific but some info in general. The first thing (and the easiest) to check is the PW fuse. Swap it for another one (from a known working circuit) and see what happens. The 2nd thing I'd check is the connector in the driver's door of the wiring to the switch. Test for current going both in and out of the switches. Then I'd remove a door panel(s) and test for current at the motors(s) when the switches are operated. By now you should have narrowed the problem down a great deal.

Please let us know the outcome of this.

Welcome to the CAC and great that you were able to secure the corvette of your choice. About the Power Windows. First, did the passenger window malfunction with only the driver's side switch, or did you also try the passenger side switch - and what was the result? If you didn't try the passenger side switch, and now both malfunction at times with the drivers side switch only, I would suspect that switch first. If the passenger side window malfunctions, try the passenger side switch. If it works, suspect the driver side switch. Bad electrical contacts or bad switch. In any event, after trying some of the remedies previously suggested, you will have to pull the interior driver side panel and check for current at the switch. (You should check the forum for directions on how to get the interior panel off). If there is current at the switch, and the windows do not go up and down, then the motor-regulator system may be the culprit. As you stated it, your husband may be able to fix the problem, but understand that replacing the switch is one thing, replacing the motor regulator is another. That's because the motor-regulator attaches to the window guide system and is bolted to it. When removing, one must scribe or mark the locations of the window guide bolts. Re-installing them may require adjustments to get the windows to move freely. If both windows are problems, and the motor-regulators are the culprits, I think that your husband is in for a long week-end of work. According to the Shop Manual, the window system consists of the switch, motor-regulators, guides, and the windows. Before removing the motor-regulator, I would make sure that there is power to the motor-regulator. If the either of the switches are powered, then the motor-regulator should have power when the switch is activated (pushed). If not, then switch could be a problem, or the wires from the switch could be a problem. If no power at regulator, run a by-pass from the battery to the motor-regulator to detemine if it works. If not, replace.

Some say half the fun of owning a vette is working on them. In my youth it was, now I just want it to be trouble free. I only want to do minor things that are fun, but those shop rates at the dealer can eat your cash up quickly, so I do more than I want to do. If your husband (or you) are handy around cars, I suggest that you purchase a shop manual. The 1994 C4 manual is a two parter. You will need both. Make sure you purchase the red covered ones, the white covered ones were preliminary and had to be corrected. Unfortunately, the manuals do not come with all of the updates that GM sent to the dealers.

Let us know what the outcome of the "mystery of the power windows" caper is. Enjoy the car, don't let the windows get you down.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom