Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High beam headlight flicker

zr1vp

Corvette
2007 Z06
While driving after dark last night with the high beams on they all of a sudden developed a flicker. If I only had the low beams on everything was ok. Nothing else (radio, dashlights) was effected, only the high beams. Ideas?

'67 L71 Coupe

could you tell if it was just one bulb or both, I would say a loose conection in the headlight buckets ,Look at the wires where they attach into the plactic connector not just the plastic connedtor to the bulb it self.Clean up good while you have them apart

It's both headlights. I've checked the bucket extention connections on both headlights and the problem appears to be upstream from there.

Could it be that your battery was getting low? Sometimes you'll get flicker when your alternator being pushed.

-Mac

Since the headlights have no fuse by design, there's a self-resetting thermal circuit breaker inside the headlight switch as a safety feature; if you develop a short in the power feed to the headlights while driving at night, it opens, shutting off the lights, then closes again, opens again, etc., cycling the lights on and off rapidly so you aren't caught suddenly in the dark at speed with no lights at all. You probably have a chafed power feed wire somewhere between the headlight switch and the lamps that's shorted to ground.
:beer

I replaced the headlight switch last night and the problem is fixed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom