Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Flow Air Bridge--Is it really worth it??

Ron222

Corvette
2004 Spiral Gray Convertible
Hello again.

I've got another question. Being a relatively new owner of an '04 Vert, naturally I want to start adding some stuff. One of the first things is an air intake system...breathing is good. I'm currently looking at both the Blackwing and the Hurricane, haven't decided which one yet though.

My question is this, what is the difference between the stock GM Air Bridge and the power Ducts I see in all the catalogs ranging in price from $170.00 up to $250.00, and are they really worth it? The manufacturers are claiming 6-8 hp by just replacing the bridge, not the filter! It also makes sense to me to replace the original GM accordian style air intake coupler with a smooth power coupler for about $50.00, since the turbulence the accordian coupler creates is not a good thing.

Having worked on Harley's for quite some time (after all a motor is a motor. And a motor is nothing more then a BIG air pump) I know that by putting a High Flow air cleaner kit on, you can get a significant HP gain, (for the amount of dollars spent) Dyno Proven, so the air filter and coupler makes sense but the bridge, I'm not sure I buy that.

Please enlighten me as to the difference between the stock air bridge and the expensive after-market one and in your opinion if it is worth it or is it just hocus pocus. :confused ;shrug

As always your comments/suggestions are gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Please enlighten me as to the difference between the stock air bridge and the expensive after-market one and in your opinion if it is worth it or is it just hocus pocus. :confused ;shrug

As always your comments/suggestions are gratefully appreciated. Thanks
I can't imagine that squashed stock air bridge with that corragated coupler piece producing better flow than a powerduct. I have the powerduct and I'm happy with it. I can't give you comparo numbers, because who dynos after this mod? Your real anawer is out there somewhere. If they claim it makes 6-8hp you can assume there is no gain. It looks alot better than stock, a reason for doing it I suppose.

Hi Ron -

The restriction is not in the airbridge or even the airbox - the stock maf is the point of restriction (and the 78mm throttle body).

There is a post over on CF where a memeber there is flow testing aftermarket systems - and the stock maf could only flow about 315cfm (from memory) and the stock airbox/duct could do over 400cfm.

My twin-ram air intake flowed 615cfm - but again, only what gets through the maf gets into the engine.

best regards -

mqqn

There is little or no gain from changing the air bridge. As stated in the previous post the location of air flow restriction is not the air bridge. If you check some of the other forums you will dyno tests that back this up.

Hi Ron -

The restriction is not in the airbridge or even the airbox - the stock maf is the point of restriction (and the 78mm throttle body).

There is a post over on CF where a memeber there is flow testing aftermarket systems - and the stock maf could only flow about 315cfm (from memory) and the stock airbox/duct could do over 400cfm.

My twin-ram air intake flowed 615cfm - but again, only what gets through the maf gets into the engine.

best regards -

mqqn
Here is the link http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1472226&page=4

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom