Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Oil Consumption

Under inflating tires to increase fuel economy is one of my favorites also. ;LOL

Wrapped in tissue paper; just where did you buy them from; never mind I doubt I want to know...

http://www.wiseco.com/PDFs/Manuals/RingEndGap.pdf

"The recommended ring end gap for oil rings regardless of the engine application is typically .015 inches."
Piston Ring End Gaps

I would have assume you would know that; I know, once I had a football coach explain the word assume to me..

"CLEAN CYLINDERS THOROUGHLY AFTER HONING IS COMPLETED
Cleaning is most essential after the honing operation to remove abrasives and loose metal particles. Use hot, soapy water and scrub vigorously with a stiff, non-metallic, bristle brush (such as a bathroom bowl brush). Scrub until the soapsuds remain white, then swab each cylinder wall with the hot soapy solution to float out all remaining foreign matter. Next, wipe out the bores with paper toweling until clean towels show no dirt. A generous coat of engine oil should be applied to all cylinder surfaces to prevent rust. During assembly, piston rings and pistons must also be coated with oil as dry starts raise surface temperatures and cause scuffing"
http://www.aa1car.com/library/ring_info_speedpro.pdf

I noticed adding Bon Ami cleanser didn't make the list. Nor did they mention adding "foreign matter."

TBR, you're the ever ready rabbit of what not to do.. That said, you're really good at it...

Very well done compilation. I had forgotten some of those.

I'll be tearing into it around the middle of October and I'm wondering what I'll find. I'll be willing to bet I find the oil rings still have their rounded faces on them because of a lack of enough tension. As they came with the pistons and were just wrapped in tissue paper and not boxed they are probably Chinese made rings. New Perfect Circle rings only cost around $35 so I don't mind replacing them. It's just the labor that bothers me. I can jerk the engine in about 3 hours and I have a really nice home-made engine stand to mount it on while I tear it apart.

Very well done compilation. I had forgotten some of those.

Thanks; from a master tech, an ex-chair borne type I take that seriously. However, you'd get it right. I use links as they all say the same thing; they are difficult to debate.
She's and an engineer and so am I; can you imagine living here??
:chuckle

If the faces of the oil rings are worn reasonably flat and the cylinders aren't scored I can safely assume the ring expander tension is too low. As the rings came wrapped in a heavy oiled paper and not boxed I'll bet they were made in China. The valve guides are hardly worn and they have new Perfect Circle Teflon seals so I doubt I'm losing oil thru the guides and besides that there is no smoke at all on start-up. I'll find out next month when I dive into it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom