Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

high performance alternator belt?

Stingray74CC

Corvette
Black Cherry 1969 Stingray
I have had two of these belts break on me in the last two weeks. Any suggestions.

HP alternator belt?
I just use napa but then I don't have a big block. could the alternator be out of alignment , or maybe a bur on the pulleys? maybe the pulley is worn.
tom:D

Assuming your pulleys are properly aligned and you have the correct deep-groove pulleys, try Gates "Top Cog" belts; that's all I've used for years, and I've never thrown one or had one fail.
:beer

I'll give it a shot

I'm gonna double check the pulleys too, to see if they have any burs.

What would happen if your Vette is running at this belt does break? Would it be a major problem? Or would the belt just simply some off and your car would stall or something?

TR

it would run until the battery got to low. you can see this happen by the gauge it would be in the discharge area.
tom

top cog work good....i had an old belt break on me.....i was only 1 mile or so from home so i got lucky.....kinda....i had to replace the heat matting on the underside of my hood....then replaced them all with top cog.:bu

I'm lucky with the water pump situation.

The belt that has broken on me only drives the alternator and power steering. I did take a closer look at the pulleys yesterday. They are all smooth around the circumference but the power steering pulley looks a little out of line. Looks like it's tilted somewhat.

Just my .02 but Gates green stripe belt's seem to be able to take a beating,I had a rag,large one ,wrapped around an ac compressor and the belt didnt break!

Stingray74CC, My power steering pump is also not lined up perfectly either, but Ive never had a problem with a belt breaking.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom