Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

High Speed Heater Fan Switch Not Working-Solution!!!

krscholz

Corvette
75 Corvette Coupe, 383 Stroker
After replacing the multispeed fan switch on the console, replacing the blower relay and then the resistor and still no high speed fan, I found the solution that I will share with you. It was the in-line fuse that routes from the fan relay located on the passenger side fender well to the firewall. The fuse was not easy to see with all the many years of dust on it. The relay controls the high speed setting on the fan motor. I found this out by short wiring the connectors that attaches to the relay by attaching a wire to two of the connectors on the plug. All positions on the fan switch worked when this was done, so I knew I was getting power except not through the relay. After replacing the fuse that disintegrated in my hands when I opened it up, the high-speed setting worked like it should have. Now, I actually get goose bumps from the cold air from my AC. I hope this info helps. Hover your cursor on the picture to see the detail of where the fuse is.

Vette Fan.jpg

Good info. You're lucky all it did was kill the fuse. Usual trick is to fry the fuse holder and the wires running to it. Lots of guys just eliminate that fuse and solder the wires together- the fusible link protects the car anyway, so the fuse is a little redundant. You do have to be careful when soldering the wires- with an HEI ignition, if you leave the key on, and get close to the distributor with a soldering gun, it will fire.

I had the same problem with my '81 when I got it....
had power going to and across the fuse but nothing at the console...:mad
drove me nuts tracking the problem down...:hb:hb:hb
just for the fun of it one day I put changed out the fuse and it started to work...:happyanim::happyanim:
as I was looking at the fuse that I had pulled out...it had corroded inside at the prong that was feeding power to the switch....:eyerole:eyerole :eyerole

I had the same problem with my '81 when I got it....
had power going to and across the fuse but nothing at the console...:mad
drove me nuts tracking the problem down...:hb:hb:hb
just for the fun of it one day I put changed out the fuse and it started to work...:happyanim::happyanim:
as I was looking at the fuse that I had pulled out...it had corroded inside at the prong that was feeding power to the switch....:eyerole:eyerole :eyerole

You were lucky to find the fuse. It took me four years to find it. What's that expression about the forest and the trees . . .?

You were lucky to find the fuse. It took me four years to find it. What's that expression about the forest and the trees . . .?
It was one of those dumb luck things,and I only did it as there was nothing else to try....

I have only one speed to my blower. I replaced the heater/AC blower switch in the console, I replaced the heater/ac control compressor switch. I replaced the heater/ac control vacuum switch. I replaced the AC blower motor resistor, and still only one speed. Any help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom