Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Holley 2300 leaks

6T7L71CPE

Corvette
1967 COUPE
Save the LEAKING HOLLEY JOKES!!!:D

My carbs were restored by Holley several years ago. A couple years
later the end carbs started to soak the throttle body gasket and carb
base gasket after it cools down. This is well after it has cooled down
and is not heat soak boil over. This may be worse in the winter. I checked and it is not coming from the boosters, it appears to come from the idle circuit openings. It does not leak around bowl sealing surface. I've looked at the mating surfaces of the gaskets and they appear to be sealing the idle circuit passages. The clutch head screws were not loose. Any idea why this does this and how to fix it?
THANKS

Your 2 end carbs do not have an idle circuit-that's the function of the center carb. It sounds like you have leaky needles & seats. I would change out all 3 & make sure your filters are in place. Also adjust the needle & seat to be about a 1/8" below the sight opening, instead of right at the edge. Unless you're racing from stoplight to stoplight at WOT, high floats cause leaks.

Save the LEAKING HOLLEY JOKES!!!:D

My carbs were restored by Holley several years ago. A couple years
later the end carbs started to soak the throttle body gasket and carb
base gasket after it cools down. This is well after it has cooled down
and is not heat soak boil over. This may be worse in the winter. I checked and it is not coming from the boosters, it appears to come from the idle circuit openings. It does not leak around bowl sealing surface. I've looked at the mating surfaces of the gaskets and they appear to be sealing the idle circuit passages. The clutch head screws were not loose. Any idea why this does this and how to fix it?
THANKS

Odd that this would appear after a rebuild by Holley. Did you do anything to the carbs recently?

I had lowered the fuel level to at least an 1/8" below the plug, I haven't changed anything else on the secondary's since I installed them. These have been doing this for a while but I've written it off as the seal on the bowl or a stuck gas cap vent. Holley rebuilt them but didn't mill the metering plate surface. I sent them to Holley because they were too far gone for me to handle but they didn't do a very good job. Two of the air bleeds were plugged up still. I took some pictures, I'll post them for a Show-N-Tell after I resize and add comments etc. Thanks

boy, is that disappointing to hear about the holley repair shop

...i'm no stranger to holley carbs but i had so much trouble with the 2300's i bought at carlisle that i recently went out and bought a new set of carbs so that i can just relax and enjoy the car...i hate to say it but in 5 years or so (enough time for these posts to disappear and for everyone to forget), i'll re-sell the original carbs and get my money back...

anyway, let's assume that holley did a decent enough of a job on the guts that they didn't screw anything up...you may want to take the carbs apart AGAIN to ensure the metering plates are tight, nothing is cracked, etc..the fuel inlet o-rings are OK, correct?

...anyway, once you have the carbs apart, carefully remove the gaskets (or use new ones to rebuild if u wish) and then mate the surfaces to check for flatness...for example, just holding the throttle body on top of the baseplate for my carbs revealed a huge wobble...i used 200/400/600 wet dry paper on a flat surface (table saw table) to eventually match the surfaces so well that i couldn't shine a light through the ungasketed joint....i also ran a mill bastard over the top of the intakes on the manifold and was astounded to see how uneven they were......this all worked fine but in the end, it only made me feel better because i finally just put them back on the shelf.....

good luck

Kid Again,
I found your old post about your leaking 2300’s. I think I’m having the same problem. This is my theory: Mine leak well after they cool down, I’ve checked them after a couple hours when the intake/carb are around 65 degrees, no leaking. The next day when it’s down to about 45 degrees and the throttle body and base gasket are wet. I think the gas is leaking into the idle circuit through the gasket on the metering plate after shrinking from cooling down. The idle circuit opening is the only opening below the fuel level. Once it leaks from here it can wet the two gaskets and dilute my nice CI-4 oil!! When I looked at the main body gasket imprint, it seemed to have a good seal. After reading your post, I got motivated and took to the body with a file and sandpaper. I had a 4” square X 1” thick granite sample for a sanding block. I found that one of the idle openings was actually a low spot. Hopefully this will cure it. Notice how Holley barely cleaned the pitted surface; the plating didn’t even take to the real bad areas.

25iamir.jpg

121x69z.jpg

i'll be darned...let me know how this turns out

NOT good news about Holley...guess they don't need our money anymore

whoulda' thunk that someone else could figure out how to make money from the carburetor business......barry grant is looking better and better

Did you call our tech service folks and ask them what they thought you should do?

270 781-9741.

You can also enter a question at holley.com

If you recall my earlier post, "oh my holley" I tried emailing tech support with my holley problem. I didn't feel like I got much support. Even after my email was passed up the chain at holley, I heard nothing. It's unfortunate but these posts keep coming up.
Mike

Holley in Chapter 11??????

Well, I guess somebody will pick them up at a deep discount, burn and slash and divest the money losing operations. Wonder if working with old geezers like us is profitable or not. Perhaps Barry Grant helped speed that demise along. From an engineering perspective, it looks like they have a superior product. They SURE AS HELL have a better Marketing Department.

Holley in Chapter 11??????

Well, I guess somebody will pick them up at a deep discount, burn and slash and divest the money losing operations. Wonder if working with old geezers like us is profitable or not. Perhaps Barry Grant helped speed that demise along. From an engineering perspective, it looks like they have a superior product. They SURE AS HELL have a better Marketing Department.

Holley Performance Products files Chapter 11 planBy PEG BRICKLEY updated 12:54 p.m. PT, Mon., Feb. 11, 2008
Font size:

PHILADELPHIA - Holley Performance Products Inc. filed for Chapter 11 protection Monday after agreeing with major creditors on a plan to lighten its debt load.
Papers filed in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., say Bowling Green, Ky.-based Holley has votes of support for its Chapter 11 restructuring plan from the majority of its secured noteholders.
A maker of specialty products for the performance automotive and power sports replacement markets, Holley is one of the nation's largest supporters of drag racing. It is profitable, but its positive cash flow has for years gone to pay interest on its debt, court documents say.
The company is asking for a March 19 hearing to consider confirming its Chapter 11 plan. In broad outline, the plan swaps reinstates bank debt, swaps bond debt for equity, and pays trade creditors in full.
The Chapter 11 proposal Holley filed along with its bankruptcy petition would give ownership of 90 percent of the company to holders of $146 million worth of 12.5 percent second-lien secured notes due 2009. The second-lien debt holders would also get $50 million in new notes, according to a description of the restructuring plan contained in court documents.
Bondholders that own Holley's $4.2 million 12.25 percent senior unsecured notes are slated to get either $100 in cash for each $1,000 worth of bonds, or warrants to purchase equity in the reorganized company.
Holley owes $40 million to banks led by Wells Fargo Foothill Inc. It will seek court approval to enter into a new bank loan to fund its restructuring, and has lined up $65 million in bank loans to fund its exit from bankruptcy, court documents say.
Holley will pay all general unsecured claims in full, according to an affidavit from Thomas W. Tomlinson, chief financial officer of the reorganizing company.
The privately held company has been involved in restructuring efforts since 2005, court documents say. Last year, owner Kohlberg & Co. LLC stopped contributing cash that allowed Holley to service its debt.
As of Jan. 28, Holley's balance sheet showed assets of about $106 million and debts of $243 million.

Probably doesn't help any that Holley filed for Chapter 11 yesterday. :eyerole

If you read the filing notices, we're not going out of business, and we're not for sale. It's a restructuring.

If you're a vendor or a customer, then it's business as usual.

Look for this to be a good thing for the future.

If you recall my earlier post, "oh my holley" I tried emailing tech support with my holley problem. I didn't feel like I got much support. Even after my email was passed up the chain at holley, I heard nothing. It's unfortunate but these posts keep coming up.
Mike

I just sent you a private note.

Press Release

Here's the press release that is on some of the other forums as well:

BOWLING GREEN, KENTUCKY, February 11, 2008 - Holley Performance Products Inc. (the “Company”) announced today that its Owner/Investors have overwhelmingly approved a plan to dramatically enhance the Company’s capital structure by converting a majority of the Company’s debt into equity.

Thomas W. Tomlinson, the Company’s Chief Financial Officer, said today that “This is a prudent financial move on the part of our Owner/Investors – it tremendously strengthens our Company’s financial position and provides substantial flexibility to invest in our future. This investment will allow the Company to realize its full growth potential and will maximize the value we can return to our investors. The actual conversion of debt into equity will be accomplished through a “Prepackaged” bankruptcy filing that will cancel-out the old capital structure and formally establish the new one. Customers, suppliers, and employees will not be affected.” Mr. Tomlinson emphasized that, “It will be “business-as-usual” at Holley throughout the restructuring process which we expect to be completed in as few as 45 days.”
James D. Wiggins, the Company’s Chief Executive Officer, went on to say that “We are very pleased with the transformation that has taken place here at Holley over the last several years. Today Holley is a lean and focused enterprise with strong customer relationships, significant technological capabilities, and diversified revenue sources. We have established a good track record of profitability and growth in enterprise value. This restructuring represents the culmination of tremendous effort on the part of the team at Holley and we are excited to share news of this successful program with you.”
Holley is a leader in the performance engine market, and is used throughout the world in racing, street, marine, and powersports. Holley’s family of companies includes the leading brands in the performance market including: Holley, Weiand, Hooker, FlowTech, Earl’s, and NOS.

So, what does this mean to you, the racer/enthusiast/consumer? It means that Holley will be a much healthier company and able to bring you better products, technology and support. This can now be done because we won’t be under the same financial constraints of the last few years.
Essentially, what has happened is that the original investment group will transfer ownership to the second tier of investors who were a minority owner. As a result, the debt we now owe is significantly less and puts us in a better position for the future.
This was intentionally structured this way so our vendors, employees and consumers wouldn’t be impaired in any way. It will be business as usual;
• Product will be available as always with no interruption in supply
• Race contingency and event sponsorship programs will continue as planned
• Technical service support via phone, e-mail and at track is unchanged
• All product warranty systems are continuing as normal
• New product development is ongoing and we expect to release several exciting new programs throughout the year and at SEMA/PRI.

Thanks for your continued support.

Drjohn....

yup, no doubt that it's a restructuring...didn't mean to leave the wrong impression

...i have to say that i've had really good service when i called the tech line but all my stuff has been chump change compared to having carbs rebuilt..i was disappointed when holley told me that they no longer sell the original 2300's but business is business...it would be interesting to see market share, holley vs. BG but it's clear that holley is making money...

....i ALMOST went with the BG setup but i just LOVE the look of those big vacuum secondaries - just screams the 60's

Drjohn....

yup, no doubt that it's a restructuring...didn't mean to leave the wrong impression

...i have to say that i've had really good service when i called the tech line but all my stuff has been chump change compared to having carbs rebuilt..i was disappointed when holley told me that they no longer sell the original 2300's but business is business...it would be interesting to see market share, holley vs. BG but it's clear that holley is making money...

....i ALMOST went with the BG setup but i just LOVE the look of those big vacuum secondaries - just screams the 60's

Thanks. No wrong impression taken. We're surfing automotive threads trying to reassure consumers that we'll be here even though the verbiage has a bad sound.

Look for this to be a good event, and for us to be a stronger presence in the market, which in the end benefits you guys.

Drjohn, I submitted this same question on the Holley online tech page under carbs and manifolds. I got a reply that it was for new products and he gave me the correct phone number. When I looked at my receipt from Holley the other day, I saw it was dated 2/6/98. 10 years to the week! The description is CUSTOM R&R, $147 for each carb. Don't you think they should have milled the body? However, after the help from the forums and studying the carb, I think I'm on the right track. I'll post the results. THANKS

Drjohn, I submitted this same question on the Holley online tech page under carbs and manifolds. I got a reply that it was for new products and he gave me the correct phone number. When I looked at my receipt from Holley the other day, I saw it was dated 2/6/98. 10 years to the week! The description is CUSTOM R&R, $147 for each carb. Don't you think they should have milled the body? However, after the help from the forums and studying the carb, I think I'm on the right track. I'll post the results. THANKS

Honestly, I'm not sure what the R&R standard was in 1998. There have been a lot of changes to the way we do things since then.

If I can help to push a question through the tech guys though, I'm certainly game for that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom