Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Home-made Tunnel Port

HotrodZ06

Corvette
2002 Millenium Yellow Z06
Hi Everyone,

Several months ago I installed a Halltech tunnel port on my '02 Z06 and it worked great for what it was designed for. However, I always liked the looks of the smaller lower center vent opening on the C5R's and the Halltech didn't do much for the aerodynamics of the front end. So, instead of just waiting around for my Pfadt coil-over suspension and sway bars to arrive, I decided to make a new tunnel port out of the original license plate cover. It only took a day to build and paint, and I was able to find the exact match of the stainless steel screen on the Internet. Here are the pictures of the before and after. I am not sure which tunnel port I like better, but at least I can switch them around from time to time.

Rod

Max, Go for it! I wanted a tunnel port that looked similar to the vent opening on this C5R. I am happy with it and like the looks of the car with the smaller opening.

Rod

Thanks. Started the project today. Will post a pic wen it is ready. Long winter ahead.
Max

Your home made opening looks much better. Nice job.

Tom

Tom, thanks for the nice comment regarding my home-made tunnel port. I opened up the area in the facia behind the vent opening but was careful to keep the lower license plate mounting points in case I ever have to put on a front license plate.

Max, I feel for you living in a cold Winter climate. Here in Southern California we are spoiled because we can cruise, autocross and track our cars year around. The last time I think we had any real rain here was about six or seven months ago. Look on the bright side, you will have a lot of time to plan ahead and do the modifications and improvements you want to make on your car over the Winter. Post a picture of your tunnel port when you get it done.

Rod

Rod...Icould do without the winter. I think your tunnel port will fitt my "nose"
Max
Bild2419W.jpg

Max, you have a nice looking Vette. Do you have your front license plate on a hinge, or how do you keep from ripping it off when entering a drive way or going over a speed bump?

By the way, I don't know if they will ship to you, but I bought the exact stainless steel mesh to match that used on the Z06 from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) at $17.12 for a 12" x 24" sheet. The specs are type 304 stainless steel, 5 x 5 mesh with .041" wire diameter, part number 85385T918. I framed the back side of the opening with 1/4" square plastic styrene strips that I got from a hobby shop so the screen would be set back a little inside the front cover. Once everything was done and painted, I attached the screen with epoxy gel. You only need to decide if you are going to keep the Corvette letters or not.

Have fun,

Rod

Yes i´m proud of that car. The plate is mounted on the airdam and i rip it off from time to time but there is no other place to put it.
The mesh...i use one made off aluminium so no problemo there.
Max
Galler2.jpg

Hey, thanks for the reply. At least with that change it won't look like my car is smiling, like one friend says. Here is a picture of my latest mod, relocating the coil packs to the frame rails and putting on the "Chevrolet" valve covers. I need to clean up and cover the wiring harnesses but I just finished this mod about an hour ago.

Rod

I've seen those valve covers. They sure clean up the engine.

Tom,

I originally had the GM Chevy C5R valve covers with the "Corvette" name on them but, as you probably know, they don't have the groove for the valve cover seal in them so they can't be used on a production Gen III or IV engine. You could probably have the seal groove cut in the C5R covers or make a gasket like on an old SBC, but I didn't want any oil leaks so I opted for the Chevy production covers. I had to make an internal baffle for the PCV fresh air vent. Besides, probably in a few months someone will come out with an affordable "Corvette" cover anyway so I will wait until then.

The fun part was relocating the coil packs to the frame rails and getting all the harnesses fitted up. I hate removing and reinstalling the spark plug wires on a C5 and have the cuts and bruises to prove it.

Rod

Sorry...couldn't resist

AltPort2.jpg

or

AltPort3.jpg

or even

AltPort5.jpg

and....my personal favorite :)

AltPort4.jpg

:L
Nice photoshop, Jistari. I kind of like the backwards "Move Over," personally.

Does anyone worry that doing this makes it pretty permanent that you aren't going to be operating with a front license plate? I'm just figuring that states which require front plates may not be amused by this sort of mod.

:w
-Patrick

I have been running the home-made tunnel port for over year with no problems in a state that requires front license plates. If I have a problem driving without a front plate, all I have to do is remove the modified cover and install the plate. When I cut an opening for the vent, I was careful to leave the mounting holes for the license plate and cover. If I ever have to install one, I would just get the clear cover, put the plate behind it and paint the cover with just enough clear to reveal the license numbers and letters behind it. I see very few C5's in California with front plates.

You guys have given me some ideas. I think I will make another one with a Chevy "Bow tie" cutout, maybe with a thin outline in red.

Rod

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom