Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood blisters

heimo huima

Corvette
1990 #33 twin turbo
I`m looking for ways to get better cooling to the intercoolers and
hood blisters could be the best way. Are ACI millenium hood scoops
good or bad copy of the orginal blisters?

I would use the Callaway products and keep the car all Callaway.You can get the original hood blisters from Callaway. It depends on what year car you have as they have two different applications. one for 1991 and one for the other years . It depends if you have the underhood ductwork or not . I have a complete set waiting to go on soon.

Those sure would look nice on your #16 hood!!!!!!!:L (private story) So if you have the original underhood ducts, how does it work? Do you need new ducting as well?

I have `90 so got underhood ducting. How much would the kit from Callaway would be, if you don`t mind me for asking?

...So if you have the original underhood ducts, how does it work? Do you need new ducting as well?

Paul, there are two diverter baffles that go underneath the new blisters from Callaway. Also added, is a blockoff plate that goes over the oval port in front of the radiator where the air would normally be rammed in from (to the original ducting).

The original ducting stays bonded to the underside of the hood :cool

Why the orginal ducting is blocked off ? Would there be any airflow
conflicts between front feeding and top feeding scoops to the intercoolers, because I would think that you would get bigger airflow using both as a combined method?

Here's a picture of 1990 #23 that had Callaway upgrade the hood:

hood.jpg

I think the blisters look bad@zz from the driver's seat over the hood.

So has anybody got info why the orginal ducting is blocked off and why not
use both for better airflow?

So has anybody got info why the orginal ducting is blocked off and why not
use both for better airflow?

While I have not performed any tests to prove this one way or the other, my gut feeling is that there is a conflict with the airstreams at the pint where they meet.

It is my understanding that the hood blisters are so much more efficient over the underhood design which were even more efficient than NACA's, that intercooler temp's drop radically!

Check with mvendetto@callawaycars.com for current pricing (and maybe some technical info as well) - I hope this helps :beer

It is my understanding that the hood blisters are so much more efficient over the underhood design which were even more efficient than NACA's, that intercooler temp's drop radically!
I believe the paperwork that came with the car indicated Callaway claimed 190% better flow through the intercoolers. I don't recall the exact wording to know if it's a 90% improvement (190% as much air) or a 190% improvement (290% as much air).

Ok, thanks for help..Just emailed about hood blisters, so hopefully soon I know more.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom