Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood Insulation???

blackandredvette

Corvette
2002 Red/Red Coupe, 1981 Black/Red Coupe
Did our 81's come with the hood insulation like the earlier C3's? The reason that I'm asking is because I have a few blisters in the paint on my hood caused by engine heat. I have seen in the vette catalogs the hood insulation for earlier years but not for the later C3's. Just wandering.

thanks,
Brad

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
Nope, no hood insulation. Do you leave the hood open at car shows or when it's sunny outside? I've heard that the chrome air cleaner can reflect light and heat the hood up until the paint bubbles.

-Tatortot

Peer81

Corvette
'81 Black
Are you sure its caused by engine heat? A year ago I stripped all the paint of my vette with a "paint blow-drier" but it has to be very very hot before the paint starts blistering. But then again I'm not a paint expert!

Groeten Peter.

c3cvte

Corvette
1972 Stingray
I've heard that the chrome air cleaner can reflect light and heat the hood up until the paint bubbles.

-Tatortot

Yup! I have seen this happen. Really sucks and something you dont think about. No insulation on mine either but no bubbling paint. I open my hood after runs autocrossing to let the heat out.

81' Corvette Guy

Corvette
1981 Silver Coupe
None on my stock hood...sorry.:w

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Did our 81's come with the hood insulation like the earlier C3's? The reason that I'm asking is because I have a few blisters in the paint on my hood caused by engine heat. I have seen in the vette catalogs the hood insulation for earlier years but not for the later C3's. Just wandering.

thanks,
Brad

Just my $.02-

If the car was repainted, then you have a problem with the prep.

Oil or something may have landed on the hood, the shop tried to clean it up, and, to no avail... the paint has now blistered (this has happened to me on one of my older cars!).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom