Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hood Latch Cable Broken. Help!

ckwhite

Corvette
1989 C4 Coupe & 2015 Z51 Coupe
The driver's side latch on the hood of my '89 won't release. The cable either came loose or (more likely) is broken. Has anyone else faced this problem before? Is there any way to reach the latch from under the car?

There are hood release tools available from Ecklers and other Vette places.

Check out:
Corvette Hood Opening Tool, 1984-1996 - Corvette Parts And Accessories

It's basically a rod with a 90-degree bend on each end. The bend that goes under the hood is only about an inch long - just enough to move the hood latch release. Push comes to shove, you can probably make one if you had to.

I had a problem once with my '92 hood and it turned out to be the cable end attached to the release handle inside the car. If is the cable/handle interface inside, a pair of pliers or vise grips will allow you to pull the cable by the release handle and open the hood.

Once you get the hood open, make sure you grease the latches well and that they operate smoothly - keeps them from hanging up in the future.

When you pull the lever under the dash what happens? does the right side pop open but not the left? IF this is the case its probably just that your cable has stretched. If your cable has simply stretched you can use a pair of vice grip pliars and pull on the cable under your dash. Remove then plastic handle first then pull on the cable that is not releasing while someone else preses down and pulls up on the side of your hood that wont pop. After opening the hood you can install an emergency hood release by installing an additional cable and drilling a small hole through the rubber gasket between your wiper and the hood release. this will allow you to open the hood .... kinda like you have hood pins but with no visable mod to your car. You can then replace the cable and have your stock handle inside the car work or just keep the quick release.

I have a hood opener tool available I will sell you also if you want to go that option.

PM me or reply here if your interested. I believe the hood opener tool is 20 bucks + shipping on ecklers....make me an offer.

Good Luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom