Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Hood Problem

Corvettekid85

Corvette
black 1975 corvette
after just looking around on the internet, i finally decided to take matters into my own hands. i got a jack, and jacked up and got under. i thought that if i could just get my hand up there and release the driver side that it would in return release the passenger side. now i can tell without looking at a drawing of how the hood release works so its very hard to tell which direction to push/pull things.
if theres anything anyone can give me tips on i would be happy to try. By the way i have a 75 stingray

after just looking around on the internet, i finally decided to take matters into my own hands. i got a jack, and jacked up and got under. i thought that if i could just get my hand up there and release the driver side that it would in return release the passenger side. now i can tell without looking at a drawing of how the hood release works so its very hard to tell which direction to push/pull things.
if theres anything anyone can give me tips on i would be happy to try. By the way i have a 75 stingray
If you have an Assy manual or Service manual, try looking for illustrations of the latch, may give your minds eye to hand a better feel.
When I'm able to get the car far enough off the ground, I can reach up and feel for the release tab on the left latch. There's a connector cable extending to the right latch fed off the left. Just like the release cable, if you pull the left latch release, the right (via cable) will release also. Not an easy task the 1st time. Doing enough of them gives you a feel for it.
I've been reading forum posts about a capped access hole in the wiper valley for this purpose. I'm not familiar with this, but it maybe true.
The 1st and only time my release cable broke, I rigged up an extended release behind the left fender (just incase). I've also read (not experienced) about re-pop cables not lasting. Made in China, what's new?!
Good Luck :beer

Yes, there is a plastic plug in the wiper valley that is there to give one access to the right hand (passenger side) hood latch. The plastic plug should be installed such that pushing on it causes it to pop into the engine compartment. The hole in the wiper valley lines up with the hood latch trip lever. A long screwdriver or ratchet extension can then be used to push on the hood latch to trip it. Pushing on the right hand hood latch should also trip the left hand latch via the cross-over cable.

I would suggest,that once you get the hood open to drill a couple
in case it happens again....

I have had the release cable break on my '66 coupe. I added a piece of yellow construction string to my latch and fed it through a grommet in the firewall. It tucks in under the carpet near the clucth pedal and works nice as a backup hood pull.

My '73 has them.
As it should!~!!:thumb

If I remember right (I've slept a couple times since I had to get into the last one.) I believe 68-72 had 1 hole on the right side accessible W/cowl grill removed and wiper door open,left side latch can be accessed with a long skinny screw driver W/cowl grill removed and wiper door open!
:thumb

73-82 Has holes on both sides like yours!~!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Hood problem on 75

The only bad thing is i have a 75 and it doesn't have the rubber grommets! is there a way to access the cross over cable from underneath? maybe with a coat hanger?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom