Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HOOD RELEASE CABLE SNAPPED

sofast4u

Corvette
1069 cortez silver
Hey guys

I need your help here, I wennt to open the hood and the cable deem to have snapped.

I ended up with the release handle in my hand and hood didn't open.. NOW WHAT!!!

How can I open it. somewhere in my readings I saw an article but I cant find it.

I KNOW THERE IS A WAY:bash :confused

I think there are two plugs on either side under the wiper door that will allow you access to the latch releases.

Hey guys

I need your help here, I wennt to open the hood and the cable deem to have snapped.

I ended up with the release handle in my hand and hood didn't open.. NOW WHAT!!!

How can I open it. somewhere in my readings I saw an article but I cant find it.

This article?

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.264.3852

Jim

A friend of mine with a 72 just went through this.

The photos in the above post are very good, however with the angle of the windshield its tuff to get a large screwdriver in that location and be able to hit the latch release. Consider going to Home Depot or the like and getting a 5/16" steel rod about 3ft long. then you can bend the rod to fit the angle.
The rod is easier to handle if you take a small piece of 2"x2", drill a hole in the end a glue the rod in it.

Plus the rod is stiff enough to be able to push the latch release. Pushing the release in the blind, is just a matter of feel...be patient.

having said all this, my friends 72 DID NOT have the hole in the fire wall with the grommett in it, my 75 DOES...who knows why??? Hence the rod would not work.

He jacked the car up. Got under it on the passengers side, reached up behind the finder into the engine bay, up to where he could grab the cable on that side and released the latch.

Good luck

Hey guys

That sucks! I feel your pain. I had a body shop tell me they'd need to break the hood to get it open. That was when I decided to hang up the phone!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom