Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hooker Header/Sidepipes

F

fasterthanu

I know you can change the glass packs in the Hooker Headers/Sidepipes of the competition headers. My question is this... I do know that since putting these on, I have a restriction. naturally you would, look at the collectors, to the glass pack size differeence. Like 4 incehs down to 2inches tops. Does anyone know, can I get a different glass pack taht will fit these with a larger opening? I had better performance with my 3" exhaust on there, but had to take them off with the installation of my 700R4 transmission in my 76 vette. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Try these instead. Spiral Turbo Baffles The fit is much better than the hooker mufflers. They cost more than those hooker mufflers but I'm very pleased with them as are many others, and they won't rust to the inside of your sidepipes. Lot's of info on that site as to performance too.

do you have these on yours? Is the restriction gone? Anyone have these?

Nirvana

Fired up the vette after it's winter sleep with those Car Chemistry baffles and nothing else. Ooooooooooooooooooooo!
Perfect, quieter than empty sidepipes (instant jail time) louder than glasspacks (ok but not distinctive and restrictive) and throttle response like I have never had. Hit the throttle and Crrrraacccck. Sounds like a quiet Funny Car.
Now to terrorize the neighborhood and get some speeding tickets!

Yep I've got those spiral baffles and you can bet it's instant jail time. If you drive like me....that goes from red light to red light hitting the red line every time....(to impress chicks)....it's a sure ride in a back seat of a crown victoria all the way to down-town. But they do nothing, not even a ticket. (personal experience)
Paul

The attitude around here amazes me constantly. It used to be that loud pipes on any vehicle would get you into trouble, but nowadays the police don't even seem to hear any loud exhaust. It seems as though most Harleys now are running straight pipes and I've never seen a cop stop one for excessive noise.

_ken

I talked to a buddy of mine at an exhaust shop. He was saying that the glasspacks are identical on both sides, or they only fit in one way.. Everyone here says to put them in backwards. different brands?

I think most glasspacks have a "backwards". I picked up the tip from one of Vizard's high perfromance chevy books.
As I mentioned I pulled mine in favor of the the "car chemistry" (not spiral turbo whatevers) baffles. If you would like a picture of the inside of one give me your email address and I'll send you one.
I am surprised you would take the word of an "exhaust shop" guy over the vette forum folks :)

"Baffles.........."

inferno-vette. I'm kind of curious as to what TYPE of Spiral Baffles you have? I don't recall selling you any of mine. As far as an instant ticket mine are below db levels that would get you into that spot.

Redmist. I've been called many things, but never a "whatevers". It's Spiral Turbo Specialties. Good luck with your C. Chemistry "INSERTS". JCL "Sidepipes are the way"

The attitude around here amazes me constantly. It used to be that loud pipes on any vehicle would get you into trouble, but nowadays the police don't even seem to hear any loud exhaust. It seems as though most Harleys now are running straight pipes and I've never seen a cop stop one for excessive noise.

Ken thats cuz most cops have Harleys

Baffles........

JCL, who told you that I bought those baffles from you? I bought them along with the side pipes from a guy on the net who wrecked his car. And on my vette those baffles sure are higher than db levels cause a 405 hp zr1 is a bit noisy.

" Baffles.........."

inferno-vette. You had called them "spiral baffles" and it was one of those I ASSUMED things. I stand corrected. So your running the regular glasspack muffler? JCL "Sidepipes are the way"

actually i only did because I know that he's had like 5 vettes and thats all he did for years was custom exhaust. If you can send me those pics of the insides please. vidguru@attbi.com
Thanks.

JCL

I just put the Hooker Super Comp side exhaust system on my 74 two weeks ago, I think it sounds better than the rear exhaust. Know it looks better, won my first car show this past weekend. I am constantly upgrading and although the exhaust is still a VIRGIN, I will be upgrading that sometime in the future. So, for 4" pipe I need the race baffels for my exhaust? Didnt see where they can be ordered stainless steel, hate rust.

Wamp 74

Re: " Baffles.........."

JCL said:
inferno-vette. You had called them "spiral baffles" and it was one of those I ASSUMED things. I stand corrected. So your running the regular glasspack muffler? JCL "Sidepipes are the way"

JLC, no, no, they're baffles alright I take them off every now and then for the track. Now, they might not be yours but as far as I know your the only guy who has them. Unless they were custom made. (doubt it) And I still know how to recognize a "regular glasspack muffler"
Paul

"inferno-vette........"

Interesting. You don't have an pictures or a description? Very curious. Thanks, JCL

Re: "inferno-vette........"

JCL said:
Interesting. You don't have an pictures or a description? Very curious. Thanks, JCL

Jim,

If I read this correctly he has the baffle inserts that you can get in 2 or 3 piece style. They sort of look like the ends of the hooker muffler only shorter and with holes in it (probably not the best description). Look in a Summit or Jeg's catalog, I've seen pictures of them in one of those.

Yes Scott those are the Car Chemistry baffles. They are "tunable" as far as the noise level you want and come with several sets of caps you can drill out and tack weld on to make fine adjustments. I run just the 3 ring ones without caps. They fit perfectly in the collector of the header and probably don't have to be tacked but I zapped them just to be safe. Although they aren't stainless they are very lightweight. If you wanted you could probably have them jet-hot coated pretty cheaply.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom