Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horn Button

Glide

Corvette
1971 Shark, 1985 C4, 2011 C6, 99 FRC. 66 Coupe
Anybody know the procedure for installing the horn button on an 85? The backing plate is attached to the button but the assembly WILL NOT clip onto the wheel. Do I need to remove the wheel or what?

Thanks!

Anybody know the procedure for installing the horn button on an 85? The backing plate is attached to the button but the assembly WILL NOT clip onto the wheel. Do I need to remove the wheel or what?

Thanks!
Wheel stays on. I am looking at a spare wheel that I have, I cant figure out whats giving you the problems! I know your plate is good, so I'll try this:

There are 3 square 'holes' at 12, 4, and 8 on the wheel, as well as some notched cutouts at 1,5,6,7, and 11. Any damage?

In 86, the horn button and contact plate changed, I don't think it will have any bearing on your prob, but maybe thats something to consider....a different (newer) assembly trying to install on an 85 wheel. (BTW, the wheel itself changed in 86 and its common for C4 owners to put the thicker padded wheel on the 84-85's.)

Thank-YOU!

Upon closer examination, it looks like there should be tabs on the backing plate at 1, 5, 7 and 11 that fit into the wheel but are broke off. Is that the case? Nobody ever mentioned that, just looked at me like I was crazy when I asked how to mount the horn button. Mystery solved.

Instead of buying a new plate ($25) maybe I'll go with the later model wheel. Are any modifications needed to put on? What year wheel should I be looking for?

86 to I THINK 90 (old style interior without airbags) will fit w/o any modification. FYI, I've driven C4's with the newer thicker wheel and my 85 with the thinner wheel. Most like the thick one, I like the thin one for what its worth.

Those tabs break off pretty easy over the years, but it seems a little odd that all yours are gone. It probably will be cheaper for you to buy a new plate; even a decent used wheel will be 50 bucks.

Maybe this weekend I can pull the horn button off the car and snap a couple pics for ya. Glad to hear you have a handle on this. Driving season is coming...get her inspected soon!

I just glued it on. Maybe someday I'll upgrade the wheel. Don't need the pics. Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom