Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Horns Won't Blow

ringleader

Corvette
1990 Black coupe
:r Both horns don't make any sound on my 90 when I depress the either button on the steering wheel. Could it be the relay or has anybody experienced other causes?

Horns

Often it's a poor ground connnection. My '95 has a separate ground wire leading to the horn from a 'local' ground on the frame near the horn. I think your year depends on the mount for the horn to achieve ground. Try loosening the mounting bolt, wiggling the connection (or cleaning it with a wire brush) then retighten and try for sound. If nothing, you can confirm horn functionality by running a wire from battery +12v to the horn connector near the horn. If the horn blows, it could be the 'slip ring' in the steering wheel, the power to the slip ring or the relay. I don't know where the relay is for your year.
Hope this helps.
John

Horn

Thanks for the help......The horns work as I set the alarm and opened the door and the horns worked, so probably not the relay, I'll try the grounds and see what happens.

Spinman I took my car into Chevrolet and they pulled the air bag and there is a wire with a spring at the end that goes down in the column and connects to a cam that is made of plastic and mine was broken so a new cam is ordered and the horns should work after that. If you look at the pictures on the above post you will see that sleeve with the spring on the end.

Ringleader -

Please post the part # for the cam if you have it. It appears that they need to pull the wheel to get to the cam - I see the wire with the spring going into a hold in the steering wheel. Is the cam on the otherside - down the shaft?

The solution others have mentioned indicates that the red connector attached to the yellow wire is what fails - and can be repaired w/o removing the wheel - just the airbag. It sounds as if your problem was yet another defective part.

When replaced, can you post a photo of the defective cam?

Horn won't blow

Spinman, Damn I didn't save the defective part, but it is on the other side of the hole, so you have to pull the steering wheel. It took the mechanic all of 10 minutes to do the work and I was on my way. I will get the part # for you on tuesday.

Mine, some time ago, was the steering wheel 'switch'. Then, one tooter failed.

Ringleader -

I removed the airbag from my car this morning and the wire with the spring for the horns that goes into the column immediately fell out. It looks as if I will need to replace my cam as well.

Appreciate the part # when you get a chance to post on Tuesday.

Spinman

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom