Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How can somebody tell if the distributer is shot?

Nick90vetteguy

Corvette
1990 Polo Green Corvette
I have a stock distributor on my L98 how can I tell if its on its way out? Checked the spark plugs last June there clean, just wondering how to tell if theirs not enough spark is there a simple test to do?

I have a stock distributor on my L98 how can I tell if its on its way out? Checked the spark plugs last June there clean, just wondering how to tell if theirs not enough spark is there a simple test to do?

If its a stock motor, and it runs right, the distributor is fine. Besides,
you don;t change HEI distributors, you replace defective components, such as modules or caps or rotors.

LOL.. Sounds like Nick has some extra cash, again.

I was told the stock HEI would run a normally aspirated engine to 7000 RPM just fine. I'd bought an MSD box for my engine, but decided against the possible failure and complexity for no gain, so I traded it to a friend in Japan.

I was told the stock HEI would run a normally aspirated engine to 7000 RPM just fine. I'd bought an MSD box for my engine, but decided against the possible failure and complexity for no gain, so I traded it to a friend in Japan.

haha yea I wish, I just like to think big then narrow down what I CAN DO, lol ;LOL

If you want to check if there is enough spark, use a known good plug, ground it and see if it gets a blue flame at night when cranking.

If you know that the shaft is worn, a change is in order. Does it have a lot of end play?

If you are just itching to do something, I suppose you can change it to a small cap distributor and a remote coil for a HSR later on. ;LOL

I have seen those msd boxes on dynos and they do nothng for a engine for more hp. They talk about a hotter spark but that is just crap it must be hot enough.

I have seen those msd boxes on dynos and they do nothng for a engine for more hp. They talk about a hotter spark but that is just crap it must be hot enough.

If your spark is hot enough to work, having MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge or My Spark Died) won't help. Now if you are having forced induction and the spark isn't strong enough, sure. It is like having octane. If my car works with 93, why do I need to buy 105? If I have boost and it detonates, sure.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom