Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do I get rid of water spots?

R

rhodginz

I hand wash and dry the car. I hand wax. I just used Clay Magic for the first time. I still have water spots. What in the heck can I use to get rid of these unsightly blemishes?

HELP!!!!!

You may want to try a cleaner. 3M makes a decent product.

Carlo

The car has always been in the South...

so I don't think it would have been exposed to acid rain. Now I have also tried white vinegar and I have even tried bug and tar remover. It still has the spots. I haven't tried any type of rubbing compound at all. Nothing at all harsh - yet.

Please understand, the spots are really most visible in the sunlight, viewing the finish at an angle. If you just view the paint straight on, you have to look to see the water spots.

The next thing, I guess, is a visit to a local body shop to see what they suggest, unless someone here comes thru for me! Maybe I'm being too anal about the whole thing! People who see my car remark about the shine...but I see not only the shine, but also the defects.

TIA

Hi: I don't have a simple answer for you concerning the water spots. I have a 95 polo green coupe with the same problem. I asked A local Corvette body man how to get rid of this and he said the only way was to wet sand. I don't want to go that far.The car looks great and I get lots of compliments. But like you said I know the spots are there if you look closely and it bugs me but I think I will just live with it. Ted

Water spots are microscopic etching of the paint caused by contaminants in the water, minerals, acids, etc. Try adding a little baking soda to the wash water or just use a good car-wash soap, not dish soap.

I had them, the dreaded spots on my last car - very noticable on black.

The first thing to try would be a good polish like Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #7 which is very mild. If that doesn't work, try 3M Swirl Mark Remover. Above that, your into the "compound" level of abrasive, a place I wouldn't go unless you had no alternative.

Both of the aforementioned products are mild enough that it will require a fair amount of elbow-grease and perhaps several applications to achieve the desired effect.

I think I have the answer.

I am in the paint business myself, so the most forecoming problem is washing your car in the sunlight.
That's very bad for your car paint.

I think maybe your car has a very bad quality paint or either you have a very bad clear coat on your car.

Try to repaint your car with a PPg or Dupont clear coat that should help.

I have a very good clear coat for sale that's sunlight resistant and is almost scratch free compared to others.

By the way I sell Standox car paint and it's highly recomended on BMW,Mercedes Benz,Volvo,Porshes and all those exclussive cars.

Hope this would help,

Ryan

Try a quality clay bar.If that doesn't get them I would suggest to wet sand. Use 2000 grit, by hand. Follow with a good liquid rubbing compound (use an orbital buffer with a soft pad), finish it with some Zaino. (spots won't come back again):D

Spiderman :w :_rock

Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover is less aggressive than #7. Both will work, but you might want to try #9 first. If you use #7, you may need to use #9 afterward to remove the dullness it can sometimes leave.

Black is my favorite color and probably the worst with respect to water spots.

#1 - Wash the car in the shade or under cover
#2 - Never wash it when it is warm from engine heat, put the hood up to let it coll down faster.

I know it sounds elementary but that all I could figure out in about 20 years of detailing dark colored cars.

I felt like a vampire in that I was always looking for a dark place to wash my cars, I even had to keep the door shut on my garage because of the way it is located there was alot of sunshine.

Good luck,

Dale

Sad, but true. And then you miss spots because there's not enough light!

Someone has to be the smart ass...

...and it might as well be me!

Evian, and lots of it! I actually was out and about the other day and used some on some mucky-muck that splashed on my baby.

Worked like a charm. Think I'll buy some more and final rinse with it...just kidding!

It did work though! Just a thought from your local smart-ass!

I had the same problem. A guy from Meguiars R&D used Clear Coat Prep and a random orbital buffer/polisher. See the following link: http://www.contemporarycorvette.com/aboutus.htm
I have since bought my own Porter Cable buffer. One other tip I found to work well since I don't have the best water - don't spray rinse the car. Take off the nozzle and just let the water "sheet" rince. I have no idea why this worked for me - maybe it was a full moon:D.

Thanks again Claude in Montreal with Meguiars!
Guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom