Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do you clean a Throttle Body?

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
Let's see if I got this right: you remove the air intake runner, then spray/clean with gummount or similar the butterfly 'flap' in the oval/roundish part of the body, including the body cavity. The throttle body to me is nothing more than an airflow regulator, the fuel is 'downstream', so what else is left to do? Should I remove it from the plenum and toothbrush it? Thanks.:w

brake cleaner works good...spray it on, wait 15 sec, wipe with shop rag.

ok to do on the car you can do a grade ''B'' job if you are persistent... better to unbolt and use a pan/ brush with lacquer thinner, get an A+

do NOT get any solvent in the ''plastic'' parts -- the TPS sensor and the IAC.

Four bolts, a few connectors, throttle linkages, and the intake duct is all that is keeping you from taking it off. I am pretty sure I removed the TPS sensor, and also the IAC valve. Be careful with that, the screws were torx and a bear to get off.

CAUTION DO NOT use brake cleaner or carb cleaner.
After cleaning you start the engine and the fumes will be drawn into the engine and may ruin the O2 sensor.
Go to auto part store and buy a can of throttle body cleaner.
It is not necessary to remove the TB just spray around the throttle plate and remove the IAC and spray through that passage also.
Be sure to turn the key on and then remove the wire from the IAC before removing the IAC or you may damage it.

Anyone know where to get new screws for the throttle body clean air cover? Took mine off and they are pretty rusted. Thanks...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom