Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How do you know that your clutch is going?

Stallion

Corvette
1996 CE LT4
I'm not saying that I'm expecting no slip on my clutch, but I don't think I really know what a clutch that is worn out feels like when you drive on it.

Ideas??

Easy test is to shift into a 1:1 ratio gear... ie: 5th on a C4 6speed. At crusing speed accelerate, if the speedo dosen't go up with the rpm then its slipping.

One of the signs on a 6spd. C4 is the clutch grabs very high, this is a sure sign it's worn. On a 4+3 the clutch pedal gets realy hard to press down. Yes you can go and try to make it slip but sometimes that will only happen when it's shot, down shift and pop the clutch is also a good way to shock the clutch and see if it's slips. I have come across a few cars in the past that did not slip at the time but when the clutch was removed I don't know just why it wasn's slipping it was that bad, I'm sure just a little bit longer or one good lanch and they mak have been walking.

David Fulcher

Hey Stallion,
How have you been? If your clutch pedel is engaging high up off the floor, not down low near the floor, then you are probably in the last 10% of clutch life. If that's the case, you should start thinking about a replacement clutch. What kind of hp and torque are you putting out? Maybe someone else could inform us on how much hp a stock LT 4 clutch can easily hold. Is there any difference between a LT-1 and LT-4 clutch? Would an LSx series clutch assembly fit a C4? Or is the next step a Centerforce or another aftermarket assembly? My inquiring mind would like to know..
Z07coupe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom