Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How do you scan/read live data on a 1985 L98

Spunky51

Corvette
1985 Blue Corvette Coupe
Being a newbie to the forum this may be a dumb question. I am having problems with my 1985 L98. I tried jumping the A & B pins of the ALCL to read the codes, but only get a steady check engine light instead of the flashing codes. In looking for scanner I mostly see some nice scanners for OBD2, but very little for OBD1. What do most of you use to do diagnostics and see live data with? I ordered a Bosch 1300 scanner but don't know how much actual live data it will let me see. Any suggestions?

you used to be able to buy or make a cable to USB , download a program on the laptop and get live readings
not sure if all that is still available

Hey GWinter, thanks for the info. I too have looked at the software that runs on a laptop, but found it too expensive for not knowing whether it would work or not on an OBD1 system, or if it would just read the error codes without the live data. I know I can't be the only Vetter in this situation. We'll see.

there was a program with 30 trial scans before you had to pay for it, I have it on an old laptop and still used it two yrs ago , biggest thing is understanding what it tells you. It does work quite well considering the quality computer it is on
at the time I bought a cable for the OBDI . I might be able to get the source of the cable and the program name. Will try to remember to look tomorrow evening

have been a little busy last couple days, haven't forgotten you.

Datamaster install files
I believe these are the files you need to download , took awhile to track them down the company that owned the program no longer supports it .
I also found this on this corvette action center Datamaster Authorization Code Work-A-Round - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
I also found this, I think this is the one I have . Pretty sure you need the 12 pin just check your connections and count the pins
It is a little tricky getting the program set up to connect right,, remember something about baud rates or something.
one more thing that may help. OBD1 Datalogging - PCM of NC, Inc
and this
TunerPro. Get the software safely and easily. have to study this not sure it still works on OBDI

Last edited:
Will definitely check this out. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this digging for me. I really appreciate it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom