Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How good can we make a C4 run? Mods anyone?

For my situation, I think a '96 and up would be the answer. Why? Emissions! The OBDII cars don't get run on the wheels here in Cook County. They just plug em' in and if they pass the diagnostic, they pass the emissions test.

Pre-'96, however, they run them on the wheels and if it fails the sniffer, you fail the test.:ugh

I know that you guys can make the motors run clean but I don't trust the incompetent fools at the testing facilities to run the car right. You're asking, "How could they mess that up?" If you've seen some of the people working there, you'd understand.

Edmond said:
For my situation, I think a '96 and up would be the answer. Why? Emissions! The OBDII cars don't get run on the wheels here in Cook County. They just plug em' in and if they pass the diagnostic, they pass the emissions test.

Pre-'96, however, they run them on the wheels and if it fails the sniffer, you fail the test.:ugh

I know that you guys can make the motors run clean but I don't trust the incompetent fools at the testing facilities to run the car right. You're asking, "How could they mess that up?" If you've seen some of the people working there, you'd understand.

here for mine they don't run me on the roller. they just sniff me at idle and then at 2500 rpm. sometimes you can talk them into giving you a waiver for 2 years :D

but your right 96 and up cars are OBD II and with Edit programs like LS1 Edit you can mod the hell out of your car with ungodly cams and just turn the codes off so it don't show any when they scan your car.

lucky bastiges....lol

sooner or later i would think they'd catch on.

SurfnSun said:
While correct in theory, i have never seen a 500rwhp L98 that could be had for $5k...Hell Ive never seen a 380rwhp one for that matter. To build a motor up to take a "BIG" shot and live, you'll have 5k in parts alone. Intake, good heads, and headers will eat up nearly 5k.

A supercharger on a TPI system will not give you any more revs than NA. Trust me on this one.

For a budget build up, the LT1 would be the place to start the intake is already there as is the 6speed.

400rwhp isn't hard out of a ZR1 ~3500 bones...and with a bullet proof motor you have nothign to worry about except vaccum leaks.

Bottom line...you get what you pay for.

your right on most of this but if you shop around and talk to people you can get deals. my LT1 intake that i bought was only 500. 388 short block with 30k in miles 800 bucks. cross hones still there and came out of a car i know and worked on myself. just need a set of heads. Jeg heads sbc are an excellent head for 1200 bucks assembled

[font=helvetica,]High-Flow 197 Aluminum Cylinder Heads[/font] 555-5141164cc Angle Plug (each) | More Details | Related Products $594.99

High-Flow 197 Heads
Bolt-on horsepower - complete and ready to install! Designed to support 425-500 hp in 350-406ci engines. Features large, high quality stainless steel 2.055'' intake and 1.600'' exhaust valves that offer superior flow over typical 2.02'' valve set-ups. The intake port cross-section was designed for good mid-range power. Works well with cams featuring duration of 210-240° @ .050''.
  • 197cc Intake runners
  • 1.440'' Springs
  • 1.875'' Installed height, 130 lbs. seat pressure
  • 3/8'' Studs and 5/16'' guideplates included
  • 2.055'' Intake/1.600'' Exhaust valves
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4750&prmenbr=361

my motor will take a very safe 100 shot of juice. with a ZZ409 cam on 1.6 or even 1.7 roller rockers, jeg heads, LT1 intake with 52 mm TB, and a 388 stroker all hydro roller, i'm sure it i will it in the 500 rwhp range on a conservative tune. already got the headers. TPIS long tubes. i can't wait to get it in cause i'm sure i'll throw the 150 pill in run alot of fuel and with an onboard real time timing controller you can run some big numbers on juice and be safe on a built long block as long as you dump alot of fuel too it ;)

don't think 80's technology. although the mechanical side is still mostly 80's electronics aren't. it all comes down to more air + more fuel = more HP.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64531

i'd match my prices to any LS1 and i know for what i'm building that i still have a streetable 500+ rwhp car and it still is a C4 because they are just too damn Sexy! :upthumbs

Vettelt193 said:
Interesting take...

IMO, go with the supercharger. It is a bolt-on mod that adds a bunch of power. Superchargers also have a re-sale that other mods don't have. If you decide to sell the car, yank the supercharger and sell it separately. They are worth good $$ used, unlike most other parts.

don't kid yourself on resale value on superchargers. i just missed a D1 SC supercharger with intercooler. it only had 1k in miles on it. it sold for 2600 bucks. how much are them kits new? 4500+?

heads and cam package is where it's at for the money IMO. gotta be able to breathe. on a stock application no matter what it is, the setup is going to be very limited if it can't push the extra air thru the motor. this is why i suggest heads and cam first. even in the LS1 world you are seeing heads and cam packages on full bolt on cars running 550+ rwhp. granted this is max cackle and not very streetable but if it's a weekend car no problem. but on a 425 rwhp package your looking at still being streetable and beating 90% out there. i will admit LS1's do love superchargers. D1 SC's on 02^ Z06's pull as high as 550 rwhp in mostly stock applications. tuning and maybe a few bolt on's.

I just dont' think its as easy as you do. Otherwise there would be way more 500rwhp C4s than we've seen.

Most of the parts youve had are used. Im talking new prices + labor. It just can't be done that cheap.

your right and no offense but i take it you don't work on your own stuff? i do so that saves me alot of labor.

400 bucks for block prep
500 in machining

street and strip setup roller assemblies. this setup here is good for an easy 400+ rwhp setup.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4090&prmenbr=361

want more? put the jug on it and run a 250 shot all day long :D

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=141545&prmenbr=361

so for about 3k and another 1.5k for heads/cam and valvetrain and then the bottle for 1k for everything thats about 5500 bucks for a 500+ rwhp Long Block motor.

of course labor will eat you up but then again if you don't shop around and talk to people it's the Corvette Tax that eats you up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom