Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How long to wait; Dropping the Hammer after rear end rebuild.

74bigblock

Corvette
2008 Z06
I'm getting antsy. I want drop the hammer on this ole gal and see how she gets up! My alignment is tonight, and I have about 20 miles on her so far. Do I need to wait to lay into her? The diff was rebuilt just replacing the bearings and posi clutch pack. Everything else was reused. Once I get aligned and retorque... is there any reason I shouldn't get on her?

Spank it like it's been BAAAADDD!!!!

NUKE IT TILL IT GLOWS!!!!

:lou

I will flog her upon return of the keys to me from the alignment shop this afternoon :D

wishuwerehere82 said:
Ehhh... Put some tape on it. Should be fine.;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

nice. ;)

put your foot in that mother, and go. there is no break in period for rear ends. bearings are new, they don't need breaking in, and neither do gears, so hit the road and have some fun.

I gotta wonder how much power that old rear end was robbing from me, or if it's the bushings that make her not hook up as well, but OMG!!! SHe just rips 'em loose. I couldn't be happier! :lou

goertz said:
put your foot in that mother, and go. there is no break in period for rear ends. bearings are new, they don't need breaking in, and neither do gears, so hit the road and have some fun.

New gears DO need a break-in period - if you hammer them before you have 50-100 easy non-freeway miles on them, they'll generate a lot of heat while the ring and pinion are "wearing-in" with each other. New gears need short drives with cool-down periods between them for the first 50 miles or so, or the heat buildup can result in excessive wear, backlash, and noise.
:beer

JohnZ said:
New gears DO need a break-in period - if you hammer them before you have 50-100 easy non-freeway miles on them, they'll generate a lot of heat while the ring and pinion are "wearing-in" with each other. New gears need short drives with cool-down periods between them for the first 50 miles or so, or the heat buildup can result in excessive wear, backlash, and noise.

Thanks John! The gears are my same 'ole ring and pinion, just cleaned of the 30 years of sludge built up on them.

So there you have it 74BB - "Drive it like you stole it!!!"

JohnZ said:
I Gotta 2nd. That!! And 3rd. it too if need be!! Before you get to :lou gmjunkie!!

On new rear gears the normal break in period is under 50 mph the 1st 100 miles resting them after each 20 mile segment, then take it easy for the next 400 miles (500 total). Then let her rip!

BUT THEY AREN'T NEW GEARS... THEY ARE THE OLD ONES! :mad

74bigblock said:
BUT THEY AREN'T NEW GEARS... THEY ARE THE OLD ONES! :mad
Dave Don't Get Mad!! Even though your Gear's are the Same, The bearing' are NEW and Tite and your Ring and Pinion will be running at a mi-newt differnt angle!! Yes the gear's will seat in to each outher, But untill then Under Heavy Acc. it could flake a piece of Hardend Surface and start running through gear's and bearing's !! Not Good!! Take it easy for a while!! :upthumbs I may Look Like Jack Nicolson with no TEETH!! But I been around a Vehicle or Two!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL gmjunkie!!

gmjunkie said:
Dave Don't Get Mad!! Even though your Gear's are the Same, The bearing' are NEW and Tite and your Ring and Pinion will be running at a mi-newt differnt angle!! Yes the gear's will seat in to each outher, But untill then Under Heavy Acc. it could flake a piece of Hardend Surface and start running through gear's and bearing's !! Not Good!! Take it easy for a while!! :upthumbs I may Look Like Jack Nicolson with no TEETH!! But I been around a Vehicle or Two!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL gmjunkie!!

I'm not mad... im constipated... so cut me some slack.

I just wanted to point out that they aren't new gears. I put 8 miles on her the first night, 12 miles the second night. 15 the 3rd night, 12 the 4th night... then somewhere in here I dropped the hammer.... just once. I've still been taking it very easy except for that one time.

74bigblock said:
I'm not mad... im constipated... so cut me some slack.
/QUOTE] Go Downtown!! Ain't they got some of thouse Emm-m a-na Place's in the Windy City!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL gmjunkie!! P.S. I think your rear end will be Fine!!!!;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom