Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How long will Callaway still produce the C8 CamAerobody or do the conversion?

Brangeta

9730thanniversarycamaross.jpg

I'm graduating college next year and will be saving up to have the C8 conversion (the first style that debuted in 1994) done on a '97 Camaro SS 30th anniversary edition (very likely). And yes, I'm very likely going to make the Camaro community mad by having a 30th anniversary edition undergo the transformation and having it painted a Nassau Blue color with a bit of teal in it. :L Of course, if it doesn't matter how many miles are on the donor car, and if Callaway will change all of the gaskets on the engine, I suppose I could spare the 30th SS... Does it matter?

Anyway, how long/how many years do you think I have to do this? I would assume that at some point Callaway would stop making the body panels or run out of them if they only have remaining kits and have ceased production. I'm also worried they will stop doing the conversions themselves in some respect. I really doubt they have very many of the interior modifications available any longer... Especially since the '97 SS would require the Commemorative C8 interior mods since that's the year the Camaro got the updated interior. If that ends up being a major problem, I'll have to figure out a way around it, so that I may get the first C8 interior package.

You guys own and have dealt with Callaways before, so what do you think?

Does anyone know or have a list of all the modifications needed to create a C8? What company made the 3-spoke wheels used on the early C8s, like the one below, and what was the style called? Are these what people call Dymags (I'll take a wild guess and say probably not)? Are they still made, or would I need to find used ones? Were they only used on Callaways or did they have other applications? Are they available in chrome, or are they possible to have polished to a luster similar to chrome?
94clwyc8.jpg

I've never heard it mentioned; does Callaway provide the exhaust modification, or is it just some aftermarket type? Is it required to have exhaust pipes that extend so far out the back? I'd prefer to either not have exhaust pipes at all, or have some custom made to exit out to the right and left sides (behind the rear wheels)

tealcallawayc8rear.jpg

If Callaway still does the interior modifications, what colors of leather do they have? White with accent colors? Do I get to choose what colors I want in my "Aquafresh" leather accent striping or it is always red and yellow?

callawayc8interior.jpg

If I do get to pick, and since the donor car I will be buying will be near-museum quality, I will sell the original leather to a 30thLE Camaro enthusiast who needs it. No sense in destroying such a limited, original interior. For that matter, I would like to part out all of the parts that will be replaced to help pay for the conversion. Is this possible, or does Callaway want my parts? I heard that they at least want the engine parts, but I'm not sure that is true.

Are the headlight covers still available? I've read about their poor fit, but would still want them if I can possibly find them.

How much would the full conversion cost these days? In the $60,000 to $80,000 range excluding the cost of the donor car?

Really, any info would be helpful, their website isn't very informative in regards to things such as this. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. :)

Information from HuggerC8 and any other C8 owners would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, I would give that a try, but I would prefer to do that after I have this plan started in about 2 or 3 years. I don't want to get a sales pitch or get their hopes up without having the money to back it up. I'd really like to hear from owners about this.

Brangeta said:
...I'm very likely going to make the Camaro community mad by having a 30th anniversary edition undergo the transformation and having it painted a Nassau Blue color with a bit of teal in it. :L Of course, if it doesn't matter how many miles are on the donor car, and if Callaway will change all of the gaskets on the engine, I suppose I could spare the 30th SS... Does it matter?

I would do what makes YOU happy - some may say taking a GS and doing the SuperNatural package was not "correct" - I say it makes for a VERY fine car :cool
- You were planning on getting the 6.2L engine, right??

What company made the 3-spoke wheels used on the early C8s, like the one below, and what was the style called? Are these what people call Dymags (I'll take a wild guess and say probably not)? Are they still made, or would I need to find used ones? Were they only used on Callaways or did they have other applications? Are they available in chrome, or are they possible to have polished to a luster similar to chrome?
94clwyc8.jpg

Those wheels were the Bridgestone / Callaway Run-Flat wheels.
I have seen a few sets pop up over the years, used.
They are not made anymore :(

tealcallawayc8rear.jpg

Thanks for posting that pic - it served as reminder on the C8 I should have bought :mad ;)

How much would the full conversion cost these days? In the $60,000 to $80,000 range excluding the cost of the donor car?

Callaway Cars would have those answers - Ask for Mike V. at the muber Callaway4Fun listed :cool

Information from HuggerC8 and any other C8 owners would be very much appreciated.

My replies are in blue text above - I hope this helps (man, I really should have bid onthe teal 'vert C8 :( )

I'm not really sure which engine I would like. I really haven't thought about it. I don't come from a wealthy family, so I'll be paying for this myself. I'd like to get the 383 that Callaway creates from the LT-1 I believe -- that was 6.2 liters right?

:D ... if I was loaded I'd have an LS7 put in it though, and end up buying a new set of tires every month and losing my driver's license. I'd like my C8 to be my present to myself for all of these years of penny-pinching, and I'd like to have it before I'm 25 or at least before I'm 30.

About the teal C8, back when that was for sale on Callaway's website (as well as ebay I guess) I was pretty young and was begging my dad to buy it for me :). But, somehow, he didn't like the idea of me having a cooler car than him :L and I honestly wasn't crazy about having a convertible. He was going to get me a Porsche 928, but I thought it was ugly and not worth it's weight in parts. Several years went by and my personal car is now a 2002 Toyota Corolla, but we have a '95 Z28 and '02 SS in the household as well. Parents are divorced now, but my dad has a '92 Corvette white on white, so I'm the only one without a cool car right now. Anyway, if you want the other pictures of the teal C8, I have them all and could email them to you, just let me know.

I like the stock Mystic Teal paint that came on the '95 to '01 Camaros (or the Bright Teal that came on the '94 to '96... I think that may be what this C8 has, but it is hard to tell from pics), but I would prefer a bright blue with a slight amount of teal added. Using Photoshop a few months ago, I created the exact color of blue I want, as you can see here:
camaro-blue-teal.jpg
http://members.aol.com/speedbbb/camaro-blue-teal.jpg
I don't want a newer Camaro, but that is the best picture I could find of a 4th gen and the highest resolution (I've obviously shrunk the picture since working on it though).

I've definitely got my heart set on a C8, it's just a matter of making the money to get one, and if by that time, I can still get the C8 made. I don't particularly want a used C8 unless I can find one for a good price that is fully and completely a C8, so I'd like my own built. Besides... I've been checking ebay every other day for probably 2 or 3 years for a C8 to pop up in the Camaro section and one never has.

I may be able to change my own differential fluid and a few other things, but I'm not going to buy the C8 parts and risk my dream in the hands of somebody (me or some car shop) who hasn't built these amazing cars for a living like the guys at Callaway. Definitely gotta have the pros do it, and definitely have to have that Callaway C8 emblem on the nose.

Edit: Oh, and one more reason to kick myself, is I also passed up this rare '99 Camaro in bright blue metallic paint because it had a V6. Tssk tssk... and now I have a 4-cylinder Corolla. Can you say regrets? :p

It was at the pre-owned lot during a car show my mom and I were participating in with our '95 Z28 back in 2000. My mom wanted to get it for me, but I commented that it sat too high and I wasn't pleased that it had a tan cloth interior, so I passed on it. :shakes head: I make bad decisions.
99bluecamaro.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom