Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Long Will GM Provide C4 Weatherstrip?

blankster

Corvette
1992 LT1 Coupe
Any guess on how long GM will continue to make the weatherstripping? Mine are getting a bit worn and I was thing of buying the GM A & B pillar just to have in case GM pulls the plug. Also ant tips on installing it? Is it difficult?

Some of the aftermarket kits are now as good as or superior to the GM oems. The GM supplier sells direct to the aftermarket too. I have a buddy that ordered a C4 kit from the manufactuer, and it was oem kit. A little research will go a long way.

How Long

Under federal law they are only required to make OEM parts available for ten years. However if they have a supply of a part they may keep it in the parts system until it is gone. But if at the end of ten years they do not have any more parts in storage they do not have to retain the tooling or the parts.:)

Under federal law they are only required to make OEM parts available for ten years. However if they have a supply of a part they may keep it in the parts system until it is gone. But if at the end of ten years they do not have any more parts in storage they do not have to retain the tooling or the parts.:)

Ten years, I've often wondered how exactly that worked. Now I know.

Thanks John.

GM doesn't have the tooling for the trim parts - for the most part the suppliers eat that cost on items like seals etc. Whatever supplier supplied the pieces for the C4 will undoubtably make the items available after the 10 year window since there are so many C4s around. They may be cheaper or more expensive than oem prices - seen them go both ways. I guess it depends on whether they sell direct or through Mid America and the restoration houses.

I would say GM will sell them as long as they deem it profitable to do so.
Whenever sales drop to the point that it is not worthwhile or inventory is gone then they will drop them. Beware of the aftermarket stuff. I got burnt on some weatherstripping. Some may be very good but I know from experience that some of it is junk.

Any guess on how long GM will continue to make the weatherstripping? Mine are getting a bit worn and I was thing of buying the GM A & B pillar just to have in case GM pulls the plug. Also ant tips on installing it? Is it difficult?
Back when I did the stripping on my '87 (mabye '98-99?), the aftermarket stuff was awful. I wasted a lot of time and effort trying to go cheap and having to remove it all and ship it back.

Anyway, if you want GM, then here's my suggestion. GM will discontinue it whenever it's of any sort of benefit to them. Probably whenever existing inventories run low.

But one thing that is almost guaranteed. They won't put it on sale in the future. It won't cost you any less by waiting, but you might miss the boat. A lot of C4 stuff has been discontinued already, so why take the chance? If you know you will need it, and want GM, just buy it and put it aside until you are ready to install it. My two cents. I bet if you get it from an online discount parts dealer, it will be somewhat competitive with the aftermarket stuff.

Good advice Aurora40. I have been finding out that soooo many 84 parts which were unique to that year only are no longer carried and even if you can find an aftermarket supplier than the item is usually inferior. I think based upon the way you just put it I may go get some window sweeps and other trim now before I can't get any later. If I don't use it I can always sell it on ebay.

With so many C4's out there, I don't see them discontinuing that anytime soon, especially when many C4's are getting to the point where the weather stripping needs to be replaced.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom