Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How long will the C6 go in model years?

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Being that the new Solstice will be coming out with a 260 hp 4 cylinder engine with a claimed 0-60 of 5.5 sec's what's next to come out to try and rival the vette? Braking and styling is another topic but it gives you the feeling that the long model years is a thing of the past.

I have heard of a new vette called the "Blue Devil" whatever this is but do you really believe that the C6 will last 8 yrs?

In my opinion the C6 will last 6 yrs and the last year or two will look more like the Z06.

But there is one thing that the vette has that no other car has and it's a rear wheel design with a big V8 and nothing has the torque and feel of a big V8.

Long live the V8.

Alan

How long is anyone's guess. Given the present financial situation of GM, I suspect that there isn't going to be a lot of money for retooling necessary to make a new Corvette anytime soon.

Good old Bob is strongly hinting at 2009, but I call BS. GM doesn't have the resources in terms of staff OR $$$ to pull it off that soon. Even the new chief engineer is talking about the C7 being just ideas at this point.

I think they have no choice to stay ahead !

Right now the C-6 is getting mixed reveiws from inside and outside of the car world.
While nobody can say anything negative about it's performance the skin has a lot to be desired. GM tried to make it more European looking or what the media calls it a world car look at the headlights. This is mandatory in Europe to have the lights at a determined amount of inches off the ground and swivel headlights are no longer allowed.

To change the C6 is not a big deal and they can surely do it by 09 for sure.

Think about, the nose has to go and the new nose has to incorporate a front license plate. This is a cheap fix. They can play with the rear end even if it's a small spoiler and flare out the wheel wells and bingo a new C7.

Maybe they can add a leather seat that belongs in this price range and not in the Camry range (not knocking the Camry). I'm sure the Camry has a better quality leather for sure.

Oh, l left out the Z-06 front hood scoop, it's neat.

In my humble opinion the C6 is bought by more new vette owners then people that have owned them before.

Alan

kingman said:
Right now the C-6 is getting mixed reveiws from inside and outside of the car world.
While nobody can say anything negative about it's performance the skin has a lot to be desired. GM tried to make it more European looking or what the media calls it a world car look at the headlights. This is mandatory in Europe to have the lights at a determined amount of inches off the ground and swivel headlights are no longer allowed.

Think about, the nose has to go and the new nose has to incorporate a front license plate. This is a cheap fix. They can play with the rear end even if it's a small spoiler and flare out the wheel wells and bingo a new C7.

Maybe they can add a leather seat that belongs in this price range and not in the Camry range (not knocking the Camry). I'm sure the Camry has a better quality leather for sure.

In my humble opinion the C6 is bought by more new vette owners then people that have owned them before.

Alan

:_rock :_rock

I am with you!!

catbert said:
Good old Bob is strongly hinting at 2009, but I call BS. GM doesn't have the resources in terms of staff OR $$$ to pull it off that soon. Even the new chief engineer is talking about the C7 being just ideas at this point.
;) I agree, the C6 will be around for awhile.
The C4 lasted for 13 years.
There is no way to improve the C6 mechanically, except add a few HP, or change the interior, or maybe the tail lights.
The C6 is selling and I haven't read too many negatives about the C6.

Agreed the C6 is selling but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still feel that the nose will be changed as fast as possible and yes maybe the rear lights and the interior could be a little more bullet proof.

The vette has become more Euro then American in the way it looks and as long as new people keep on buying it the vette will go on not that it was in any real danger.

But the vette is no longer or maybe never was a car for the youth !

Alan

kingman said:

Alan

WRONG! Bought by both! Please don't under-estimate this car.
Most here have NOT driven the C6z! If you do, it will change your thinking. The ones buying these cars know the difference is hugh. It's also NOT a $30k corvette any longer. The price will stop many from ever buying one. And that's too bad.

It almost stopped me, but I decided I wanted to enjoy this new BEAST!
-Bill;)

kingman said:

Alan
the lights were changed for 2 reasons,the race team needed a more aero to the front of the car than the headlights they were using and they were told by the race association the race car had to look more like the production C-6 if they wanted to race it. that is also why there is now a ZO-6 with a 427 cu in engine because that is what the race team uses and the race assocation said it has to be in the production car. the race corvettes won too many races and the the race assocation did not want that to happen again and embarass the overseas makes.that is also why the front plate holder is a option,front aero and the same for the open grill the race car needed more air for cooling. read the race team report where this is all covered

The C6 Z06 is in a league of it's own except a reworked 03 Mustang Cobra which will give it a run for it's money. By the way l am not a Mustang lover!

I consider the Z06 an awesome machine in anyone's standards, perfomance wise.

But the rumored "Blue Devil" is going to be top dog if it ever goes into production.

And as far as the new headlights, GM wants to sell the Vette worldwide and in Europe the laws dictated the new headlights. As far as the racing aspect l have no idea and can not argue this point. I assume you are correct.

Alan

By the way l have driven the new Z06 and here is how l feel.

My C5 made my C4 feel like a Yugo, My cousin's C6 made my C5 feel like a Yugo and the Z06 made my cousin's C6 feel like a Yugo.

By the way the C5 Z06 felt quicker then the reg C6.

Alan

But by themselves they all had more then enough power around town.

kingman said:
The C6 Z06 is in a league of it's own except a reworked 03 Mustang Cobra which will give it a run for it's money. By the way l am not a Mustang lover!

I consider the Z06 an awesome machine in anyone's standards, perfomance wise.

But the rumored "Blue Devil" is going to be top dog if it ever goes into production.

And as far as the new headlights, GM wants to sell the Vette worldwide and in Europe the laws dictated the new headlights. As far as the racing aspect l have no idea and can not argue this point. I assume you are correct.

Alan
go to www.media.gm.com/division/gmracing/press_kits/06racing/index.html and click on ALMS

kingman said:

Alan

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't heard complaints about the look of C6s, except from C5 owners (I had 2 so I can comment about C5 owners). I happen to think the C6 is better proportioned, and the slightly smaller size makes the car easier to track. Luckily the C5s are still new, and those that don't care for the C6 will not have a hardship waiting for the C7. The problem is that the C7 will be more like the C6 than the C5. Flip headlights are permanenty dead, according to GM engineering. Time will tell.

Let's not knock the C6 but !!!!!!!!!!!!

While l was readung Vette Magazine they did an interview with some of the top car people in the U.S. and this is what they said.

Nobody but nobody had any complaints about the performance, the only complaint is that the styling was directed to the European market mre then the U.S. market.

The major complaint was the nose period, but again that's the most important part of a car. They claimed it looked like a Camaro and the face of E.T.

For my own opinion l like the C6 but not enough to buy it. I just sold a 96 LT-1 in order to buy a C5 and it had nothing to do with dollars and cents. I wasn't in love with it like l fell in love with the C5 when it came out. But that is only my humble opinion.

Any way the the percentage of new C6 owners are first time vette buyers 50yrs and older.

Alan

kingman said:
While l was readung Vette Magazine they did an interview with some of the top car people in the U.S. and this is what they said.

Nobody but nobody had any complaints about the performance, the only complaint is that the styling was directed to the European market mre then the U.S. market.

The major complaint was the nose period, but again that's the most important part of a car. They claimed it looked like a Camaro and the face of E.T.

For my own opinion l like the C6 but not enough to buy it. I just sold a 96 LT-1 in order to buy a C5 and it had nothing to do with dollars and cents. I wasn't in love with it like l fell in love with the C5 when it came out. But that is only my humble opinion.

Any way the the percentage of new C6 owners are first time vette buyers 50yrs and older.

Alan

Just curious - where did you get the data on the age of C6 buyers and the first time buyer status? The dealer I bought mine from has sold 27 C6s and all but one were former Vette owners. "over half" had C5s, according the the GM.

Corvette Magazine !!!!!!!!!!!

Keep in mind that this changes by region. My local dealer only sold 15 vettes and only 4 were to past vette owners.

Also l believe that in the C6 section a thread addressed this. It really makes sense about the ages because of the costs involved and it only targeted the 05 C6.

If you are curious why don't you start a new thread with a poll !!

Alan

kingman said:

Alan

I hope you are wrong about the front plate, IMO the worst part styling wise on the C5, was that UGLY front PLATE bumper, not everyone needs a front plate.

As for how long before the C7........

The Job: Building a better Corvette
Recently Wallace talked about what's ahead.
You talked about the danger of standing still, not moving ahead quickly enough. If you look at the competition, how long can you afford to wait before introducing a C7?
We used to go eight, nine, 10 years, and that is too long. I keep thinking five or six years is about the most you want to stretch a major one in this segment. I think you start to get long in the tooth in the sixth year, and year seven and eight you'll be in trouble.
Read the whole story @
http://www.cleveland.com/business/pl...l=2&thispage=1

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom