Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How much fluid? 700R4

afree029

Corvette
1988 Silver Coupe
Finally getting around to a long overdue change of the transmission filter/screen in my 88 and was wondering about how much fluid is required to refill after the filter change. Can't find it in any of my manuals. I have read that the complete system holds about 11.5 qts but I don't plan on draining the torque convertor (unless of course it can be done without removing the transmission. Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

I usually dump 5 right off the bat and add until full usually about 7-8 Qts

Guy on a Grand Prix forum I'm part of came up with this. It'll get the fluid out the pan so there should be less mess.

One end of the bucket is attached to a shop vac while the other end goes into the fill tube.

Great Idea. Should certainly cut down on the mess. I don't care how careful you are when that pan drops there is a mess. Thanks for the info.

I've also read of disconnecting the return line from the radiator while filling the fluid at the same time. But that would only do if you had someone helping you and if you were no changing the filter. It'd just be swapping out the fluid.

I'm going to end up going with Amsoil Full Synthetic ATF in my Grand Prix. I should get smoother shifts and slightly better mileage.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom