Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How much more power with no cats???

malc350

Corvette
1996 LT-4 Z51 CE
Hi, my Twin Turbo has no catalytic convertors. I guess they wer removed when the previous owner had a custom stainless exhaust fitted. The car has a fantastic sound but I was wondering how much more power removing the cats gives? I heard a rumour that there were some earlt TTs that put out 420hp with no cats.

I know the real answer is to put the car on a dyno though the only one local to me only accomodates 300 rwhp. Hopefully my car has more than that!?

For anyone that downloaded my engine pic - sorry about the quality, I've attached a better pic.

Regards, Malc.

I noticed in one or your pics, that you have a different exhaust...
I am not sure of actual hp #'s however, a friend of mine had an 87 TT that was rated at 345 hp stock... He removed the cats (87's didn't come w/ mufflers;)) and his car went from a 13.2 rated quarter mile down to a 12.7 best! (it was a coupe as well).
Take it for what it's worth, I am sure every bit helps...
Stan A. is the resident B2K expert and I am sure he will chime in but, the "recall exhaust" in 88 apparently had more issues than the lack of emissions compliance from what I understand.
Hope this halps. *89x2*

Interesting question

Hi Chris,

I have had my hands business here with other pressing matters (you know what I am speaking of). First real chance to post here on CAC.

Hi Malc350.... Are you new on the boards? If so, glad to have you join in with our Callaway family.

A few questions:

1) Are you saving that the "pup" converters have been removed or all cats taken off.
2) Is the replacement setup a single tube or is it a dual setup?
3) Where do you reside (city & state)?
4) Need a reading on the boost level. 50hg or higher (this is at wide open throttle).
5) Again, the year of your car.

Need this info to make a proper accessment of your situation. Also dyno in my opinion is not the final answer to power numbers. The age of the machine and different manufacturers and setup as well as the operator can make a big difference in the results you get.

Performance numbers are a better reference point to work with in the long run. A dyno is just good as a starting reference as long as you use the same machine, same operator, and the same setup.

Post me when you can.

Have a great day,
Stan

Re: Interesting question

Stan A said:
Hi Chris,

I have had my hands business here with other pressing matters (you know what I am speaking of). First real chance to post here on CAC.

Hi Malc350.... Are you new on the boards? If so, glad to have you join in with our Callaway family.

A few questions:

1) Are you saving that the "pup" converters have been removed or all cats taken off.
2) Is the replacement setup a single tube or is it a dual setup?
3) Where do you reside (city & state)?
4) Need a reading on the boost level. 50hg or higher (this is at wide open throttle).
5) Again, the year of your car.

Need this info to make a proper accessment of your situation. Also dyno in my opinion is not the final answer to power numbers. The age of the machine and different manufacturers and setup as well as the operator can make a big difference in the results you get.

Performance numbers are a better reference point to work with in the long run. A dyno is just good as a starting reference as long as you use the same machine, same operator, and the same setup.

Post me when you can.

Have a great day,
Stan

Stan you should try reading the info under his name, youd see he's from the UK and has a 1990 B2k.

Re: Re: Interesting question

SurfnSun said:

Stan you should try reading the info under his name, youd see he's from the UK and has a 1990 B2k.

Josh, can't you see Stan is distracted? He's on the phone! :D

Sometimes we all miss........................

We all have bad days. Mine started with not paying attention. However, it ended up better.

We got his questions answered by direct email.

Hey, we all have bad days..................

P.S. The phone call was not very important anyway

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom