Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How rare is my corvette?

mikeumkc

Corvette
1970 L46
I have a 1970 350/350 with the M-21 Tranny. Looking at the info on this site, it appears that there were 4910 corvettes made with that engine and 4383 total corvettes with that transmission. I always see ads in hemmings or elsewhere that states that a certain care is "1 of only 150" or someting like that with a certain combination of items. How can I fine out how many coupes were made with my engine/tranny combo in 1970?

I'd start with the NCRS. National Corvette Restorer's Society.

There are no stats available from GM or anywhere indicating how many cars were built with which combination of what options. Sorry.

If you see a claim of '1 of 150 built', the person has done a broad estimate using some pretty loose assumptions, but it's not from any official records.

For fun, I did the full run down of options on my car (using flat percentages) and found that it doesn't really exist. The numbers indicated that it is '1 of <1 built' :eek:hnoes

...How can I fine out how many coupes were made with my engine/tranny combo in 1970?...

Honest answer is that you cannot find out with any certainty. The records do not exist to confirm how many '70 coupes had the 350/350 M21 combination. You can do a regression of the number of 70 coupes, 350hp engines, and M21 4-speeds and come up with a ballpark figure, but that would only be a guesstimate.

:)

For fun, I did the full run down of options on my car (using flat percentages) and found that it doesn't really exist. The numbers indicated that it is '1 of <1 built' :eek:hnoes[/quote]
Your correct the best you can come up with is to work the percentages. I own one of a kind ,but I can't really prove it. :upthumbs

Easy! You have one of 17,316 Corvettes built during the 1970 model year.

tom...

We might be able to narrow this down a bit. Someone help me out here, but I'm thinking the LT-1s required the M21. If that's correct, it would reduce M21 numbers by 1287. (4383 - 1287 = 3096) Coupes were 62% of '70 production, so 62% of 3096 would be 1920.

;)

I saw a picture of an early C3 vert that was painted yellow and had a green interior:puke I imangine it was a one of one,Rare?yes,Desirable,no.This is one example of rare not being a good thing.By the way the prementioned Vette was documented as factory built in that combination.That brings up another thing.Since green wasn't offered in a Yellow Vette it had to be ordered as a COPO.Now when the owner wants to sell he has 2 magic words,"rare" and "COPO"

Since green wasn't offered in a Yellow Vette it had to be ordered as a COPO.Now when the owner wants to sell he has 2 magic words,"rare" and "COPO"

Nope, COPO not required for that - just a "non-recommended" trim combination override on the order, which was approved at the Zone Office level; all the required green parts were already in the plant for use with other exterior colors. Trim combination overrides were quite common in those days.

:beer

Thanks John.You should write a book.You have been so helpful on here and on the Camaro sites.I wish you were my neighbor.If anybody wanted to know all about the Glufstream Jets I guess I would be the man.Been there 26yrs.Can you tell us some more about some of the strange things you have seen.I love this stuff!!!

Oh yeah,I want an autograph edition.I used to live in Grand Rapids so I know about woodard ave and 7mile long before it was popular.I bought my first Z/28 (1970) brand new at Berger Chevy on 28th st.Still have a brand new old style rear dealer tag.I also remember when the parts dept was on the side of the dealship.A little hole in the wall.Went to Martin Dragway every weekend that we could.Saw many Famous AFX AWB cars going at it.Have fond memories of the area.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom