Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to bypass the proportioning valve

norvalwilhelm

Corvette
75 blown bigblock
I did this last night for a friend. I took my old lightswitch/proportioning valve, sand blasted it and took it apart.
I wanted to make a bypass , internally so all stocl lines could be used and the installation would look stock.
After cleaning the brass block I removed the light switch and the screwed on end.
Inside the large brass block is a rubber plunger. Grab this with need nose plies and it would pull out a complete assembley. Discard this assembly.
Use a 3/8th npt tap and run it in the existing hole and tap the hole until the pipe tap almost disappears. Use dry seal which is a small plug with pipe threads and an Allen wrench. This once installed blocks off the front from the back brakes making them 2 seperate units.
The other piece you unscrewed from the end, the large brass nut has an internal part to it.
Carefully put the end with the O ring in the vise being carefull to minimize damge and this section with the O ring slides out revealling a large spring and another device, remove this device and disgard.
In the side of this brass plug is a rubber blow off cap, this is a leak to the outside, remove this rubber plug and drill a NUMBER 4 hole or the proper hole for a 1/16 the NPT tap and tap this hole for a very small dry seal. Again a NPT plug that uses an Allen wrench to install.
Plug this drain hole.
NOw gentley press the brass plug with the O ring that you pulled out back in it's stock location.
The only thing left is the light switch, cut of grind the subt sticking down off, this when the brakes fail out have been pushed up turning on the warning light.
Grind it off and reinstall.
The block is now ready to reinstall on the car effectivly seperating the 2 systems, at the same time looking stock and using the stock lines.
Good luck

Norval.......as I am in the process of bleeding my entire system after replacing my calipers...please explain to me the reasoning behind this method of yours....I'm intrigued.....benefits??

Rob

waterboy1976 said:
Norval.......as I am in the process of bleeding my entire system after replacing my calipers...please explain to me the reasoning behind this method of yours....I'm intrigued.....benefits??

Rob

Our front and back systems are interconnected by a toggle switch. If you loose one set of brakes the other is affected. The switch bleeds off pressure going to the low side. This makes for a scary ride.
I also found problems bleeding the system with the proportioning/light switch installed. I remove it from 4 cars now, the 4th is in the process last night and tonight but in the other 3 a noticable improvement in back brake performance.
Also if one end fails the pedal should not go to the floor since the remaining good end still gets full line pressure, nothing should bleed off to the failed side

Its ironic that you posted this, I questioned it, and you answered back, becasue after losing my brakes from what we can tell 2 years ago...(weve been working on the baby since then and only have drove her like 40 miles since) we are now working on the brakes and have found out that when we lost rear brakes way back then....the valve is stuck down and we cant get it back to neutral position to bleed the system...Im considering doing what you have done.........Thanks..:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom