Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to Change o2 sensor on 1991

jeffgrice

Corvette
1991 Blue Convertible
I have read many posts about the need to change o2 sensors but I have not found information on which ones and how to change them.

I have a 91 base motor car. I am told by my mechanic that my surging idle is due to o2s going bad. the car was running real rich and dumping fuel into the pipes. we replaced the cats (well kinda) and lots of other tune up stuff.

So my questions are:

I sensors need to be changed? I thought I read that one or two are not functional?

What are the steps to do so? is it simply unbolt them and replace?

Any other tips like certain brand sensor to buy etc?

Thanks!!!

Jeff

I think that the 91 only has one sensor. It is on the driver’s side exhaust manifold. Since the old one is junk just cut the wire off and use a socket to remove the sucker. Spray it good with penetrating oil before you try to remove it or you may remove the bung as well as the sensor.

The new sensor should arrive with anti-seize grease on the threads. If it does not remember to put some on before you install it so that the job will be easier the next time.

The brand doesn’t matter. Whatever your local auto parts store has will work. If I get any backlash on this statement I am running a 3 wire 02 sensor off of one of the race cars on Thunder because I could not find a correct replacement when it was needed and it works just fine.

Same for me, whenever I replaced my O2 I just got whatever autozone has and it runs fine. I too think yours only has one, but are you throwing any codes? If your O2 is bad it should trip the SES light. Does your mechanic have a scantool? You could hook it up to your car and actually see if it was bad or not.

yep, only 1 o2 sensor on the drivers side. Easy to replace,you can remove with a wrench or get a socket made for just this job. Good luck..:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom